UNIX/linux

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by monkeybagel, Nov 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

I am looking to specifically get a Mac Pro soon, and was wondering if many users dual boot with a version of Linux or UNIX as well, and if so, how's the compatibility? Specifically it will be a 2012 model.

It will not be the primary OS (OS X will be) but was just curious as I feel sure I will dual boot (but will run VMware Fusion is compatibility is not great).

I understand there is a sub forum for alternative OS but was interested in the Mac Pro specifically.

Thanks!

2. Major Reeves, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

macrumors regular

Well, the 2012 Mac Pro is the 2010 Mac Pro, so I wouldn't recommend you to pull the trigger on one, now that it's fate is on a limbo since the last WWDC.
    As for the *nix thing, you're much better with parallells than with vmware. But if you intend to boot some other flavour of *nix, fedora has efi boot (not sure about other distros) and can be installed without a pain.

3. macrumors 603

Mac OS X is UNIX, so I'm not sure why you'd dual boot to get *NIX. Certainly if you had a specific application that work only with Linux, sure...

4. macrumors 6502

ClassObject

I use VMware and Ubuntu everyday. Works great.

5. monkeybagel, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

I will probably continue to use VMware Fusion (unless Parallels is significantly better) and CentOS as testing and developing.

Would like to try Cent native however it is not a strict requirement.

Have a 12 core on order so I know in a few days how well I like it, with a 5870 and 2 ACDs.

This is a silly question, but since recovery DVDs are no longer shipped, and I haven't personally seen an EFI update to support Internet recovery on the MP how does one wipe the hard disk? I assume it does have Internet Recovery firmware on a 2012?

6. macrumors 6502

Purchase Mountain Lion from the Apple Store, Download it and install it on a USB (8gb) using Lion Diskmaker (search google), boot from USB and you can wipe the hard disk via Disk Utility.

mokeiko

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

I am aware of the workarounds, but was wondering what the official Apple way of doing it is. Perhaps it does have the Internet recovery EFI. I guess I will see in a few days when checking it out.