Unix.... Lovely Unix.... HP UNIX to be exact...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by frescies, May 8, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey everyone!

I found a neat HP 9000 C110 on the internet!!! I love the thing. I just have one problem. I have no clue how to change the resolution size to something my monitor can handle (ie 1280x1024 --> 1024x768).

Any suggestions?? :D

Thanks a ton,
  2. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    When you execute the window server try this

-dpi resolution

sets the resolution of the screen, in dots per inch. To be used when the server cannot determine the screen size from the hardware.

HP-UX wm man page.

Good luck and enjoy.

PS you might want to pick up the O'Reilly's essential system administration pocket reference. You should own it no matter what and it will give you the equivalent commands, config file locations and formats you are familliar with from your last OS (providing its a *nix).
  3. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

ahhhhh........I figured there was some way to do it in the software......

I tried doing it in the firmware at bootup.... However the hardware must have been unable to detect the full range of resolutions that could be used by the monitor. Instead the MOnitor configuration command only gave me a choice between 1280x1024 @ 72 or 75 hz. This is no good as I need it to work with my monitor at home (which cant reach those resolutions :(

I am quite positive that the Visualize 48 graphics card in there can handle lower resolutions

Thanks conceptdev! I think I can set this from a remote login, eliminating the need to use my boss's monitor to try to change the settings :D

is "X" the syntax for the xserver configuration program? How do I set up the argument for the dpi command.... is it something like this:

x 0 -dpi (whatever dpi I want?)
  4. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    Well I imagine just like any normal *nix you turn the machine on and you have a CLI login. Then you type in your user/pass and it takes you to your home shell. Then you start the window manager by cli with x or xinit or x11start. So you have the correct syntax like that.

However if the wm is starting up on boot then it is being called by init which seems to call a process called vuelogin. So in that case you might want to try to edit the .rc files for the wm. Try xinit.rc
    The man page I linked to has more info.

Never used HP-UX before, it seems like a strange beast indeed.

What are you planning to with this machine - if you don't mind me asking.
  5. Pelorus macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2001
    While it was never beautiful, I much preferred the CLI environment on HP-UX to that of Solaris (despite using a mix of sh and csh at the time). VUE also seemed to have better colours than OpenWin despite using CDE for latter years.

At the end of the day it's just a UNIX. The monitor problem might actually be a real problem however but as you can boot it, log into it from OSX and run a full XSession using XFree86 on Darwin/OSX, there's not much problem there :)
  6. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    I have always preffered and used BSD/Linux. I have little experience with the corporate *nixes. I had an old sunsparc ELC once but I put netbsd on it instead.
  7. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

It appears as though that xserver edit might not work.....

The computer is stuck in 1280x1024 from the very beginning of the startup sequence, well before any of the commanding software takes over. As I mentioned previously, the firmware monitor settings only offer two choices.... That res. at either 72 or 75 hz. And is stuck in that mode from the CLI bootup all the way through the GUI load.

It seems as though your technique makes sense, but I called Hewlett Packard and spoke to one of their UNIX guys (I have no idea how I got to talk to the guy for free... neither did he come to think of it). He pulled out their documentation on the C110 and the Visualize 48 video card. Evidently their documentation makes no mention of any monitor resolution settings other than 1280x1024 at 72 and 75 Hz. His explaination for this is that HP made 2 Multiscan monitors that were sold exclusively with these things and this was their resolution default. It was his understanding that the video card was incapable of supporting anything else.

Does this mean that the DPI setting in X server is just to change the resolution of the X software (like different resolutions of pictures, which obviously aren't dependent on the monitors resolution, nor will they change it) and to adjust the settings like a detail or graphics depth setting? Or can the dpi setting actually change the monitors resolution. I'm so perplexed!! :D

on google groups there is an interesting listing from someone who apparently knew how to change the monitor setting on a c110 but was asking how to do so on a 735. Perhaps he used this method.

Anyway, it seems as though I can try tweaking the xserve command from home by loging in via my little eithernet network. As always, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help guys.