Unix Prank - LOL!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by firewire2001, Apr 3, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

On http://www.neowin.net/

MONTREAL (CP) -- Microsoft chairman Bill Gates is probably used to people complaining about his windows operating system. At least, he didn't hang up when a radio show host posing as Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chrétien cursed at his frozen computer during a prank call.
    Marc-Antoine Audette, who along with fellow host Sebastien Trudel spent a month getting through to Gates, was pretending to set up a time in his computer agenda for him and Gates to meet when the machine supposedly malfunctioned.
    "Damn computers," Audette said in Chrétien's voice. "Who's the idiot that invented Windows 95?" Windows is Microsoft's main product.
    Trudel said later: "There was silence but Bill Gates didn't hang up."
    Continuing the gag, Audettet also suggested when Gates cam to Canada they meet at one of his "favorite places" which was in fact a Montreal strip club.
    Trudel, who with Audette has tricked pop diva Celine Dion, race car driver Jaques Villeneuve and Premier Bernard Landry, said Gates was the toughest hoax to set up. It took them a month to get through to him to invite him to a phoney economic summit which he showed little interest in attending.

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Thats a good idea, I have never tried to contact Bill Gates, I have tried other execs and in every case suceeded.

Ensign

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Who and what for? Were they for fun, or for customer service issues?

Every try to get Seve J on the line?

-Pete

4. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

He was gonna sell them Hash.

No, really........

we're all dying to know: How DID the 15 year old British Trekkie get through to Lee Iacocca? :D ;)

5. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Did Lee mention anything about how a stategy of making crappy cars managed to keep him in business?

Just about the only major purchase that I would have faith in that came from america would be my Mac. Cars...Japanese from here on in. I hate to say that considering 9/11 and everything AND being a New Yorker, but my experience drives me away from American "quality". (except for steel. we kick butt at steel)

-Pete

Man, this is getting really off topic.

6. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Hey guys,

how did you get the numbers in your description? Can I be, oh i don't know, maybe macrumors 8675309?

-Pete

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Arn's litle joke:

500+ are 6502's

1000+ are 65816's

It's after the oldest processor #'s in the Apple line.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Unix Prank - LOL!

This is priceless.:D Its too bad they actually didn't get him to come to Canada. And now it will be nearly impossible to get in touch with Bill.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Pardon my ignorance... but how exactly is this a UNIX prank?

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

On Cars...

Japanese... nah. Get a German car.

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

They were pranking Bill Gates, right? They must be for Unix. So really it was a prank on MS for the Unix world...or something...

Matthew

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

During the Amelio regime, I was in touch with many Apple exec's for a school project... Ellen Hancock and I were penpals for a while after that... she's an incredibly nice, intelligent woman... I was in touch with Woz briefly, who was very courteous despite the fact that i was wasting his precious time. i say that in hindsight. I've never really tried Jobs, but it would be interesting...

You'd be surprised how down to earth many chief officers are... They'll usually talk to you if you have a good reason.

pnw