Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Hi all.

I just searched at length on Google and MRoogle and could not find a definitive solutions so I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered already.

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 jailbroken with green pois0n. I decided I would rather not be jailbroken. I don't want to upgrade to 4.3.

Is there a way for me to unjailbreak my iPhone without upgrading and also without losing App data? I only have legit Apple App Store apps (i.e. nothing cracked, never used installous or the like).

If I backup my jailbroken iPhone and then restore using that same backup, will it come back jailbroken still? Or does Apple filter that stuff out in the process?

As others have said I have Apps with plenty of data in them that I can't afford to lose, as well as games that I would like to preserve progress in.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
If you don't plan on rejailbreaking, why don't you want to update to 4.3?

From what I've read, it's a mess. Also, it seems that if you've had a proximity sensor issue in the past, this revives it and I had it pretty bad, so I'm looking to avoid that until 4.3.1 comes out.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
From what I've read, it's a mess. Also, it seems that if you've had a proximity sensor issue in the past, this revives it and I had it pretty bad, so I'm looking to avoid that until 4.3.1 comes out.

It's not a mess. The vast majority of iOS users are having no problems with 4.3. I've been running it from day one without an issue.

If you still want to stick with 4.2.1 you will need to make sure you have the SHSH blobs saved. (you probably do because you were jailbroken on 4.2.1) Then you need to download the 4.2.1 software, change the host file in /etc/ and then hold alt/option when you hit restore in itunes. I posted a guide below.

Windows Guide

Mac Guide

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its not a mess, 4.3 works fine.
There's always going to be some people having issues with every build out there but they wont restore and setup as new to get rid of their bugs.
They either had a bad install/upgrade or something in their backup file is buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.