Unknown Port on XBox 360 Controller

Discussion in 'Games' started by wwooden, Feb 5, 2007.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Hey everyone,

I was looking at my 360 controller the other day and I noticed that next to where the plug in is for the headset there is a slot on each side that has some type of connection in them. The wired headset for 360 does plug into these two slots, but there are no metal connections on the headset, they just sorta sit in this slot, I think for stability. I'm not home, but I found these pictures online and am pointing to the locations of the slots. I couldn't find a good shot of the headset plug-in, but this is an adapter that does the same thing.

I'm just really curious as to what these could be used for. I've never read anything about any future products that could plug in there. Hopefully someone else will have more information.

Attached Files:

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

3. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

That's what I'm figuring for the headset, but if you look in the slots on the controller, there are definitely some type of metal connections for transfering data.

When I first noticed these ports, back before the wireless headset was released, I thought that maybe some type of reciever would be plugged into the bottom of the controller and the headset would sent its signal to that, and then the controller would sent the signal to the 360. I actually kinda like this idea better because you can easily change who has the wireless headset or take the headset to another 360 without having to resync it.

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

An old MP3 player of mine an almost identical connector, it carried USB and audio :)

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And that makes sense, I bet the "Play & Charge" kit uses those connectors to send power to the controller.

I don't have one of those, though... so I wouldn't know :)

6. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

No, the plug and play connects at the top of the controller, near the battery.

7. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

the play and charge kit plugs into the other side of the controller... (sorry, I'm slow)

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I also wondered this the other daty when I saw the controller had metal but the headset had nothing connectible on it. Can someone open it up and trace the wires, maybe find out if they actually do anything?

9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I think they maybe just clips to ensure a firm grip of the headset in the heat of online battles ;)

10. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

[​IMG]
    *ignore labels, i pulled this image from another site*

No wires or anything just tied right to the board and it does look like it has some leads coming off of it. Maybe it is for future planned or even unplanned accessories.

Kevin

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Ah, funny. I'd never before seen the vibrators(??) for the rumble functionality. Can they be utilized separately, left and right?

12. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think they only have 2 because they create different intensities. So if the programmer wants to make a light rumble, they would use the smaller motor (on the left of that picture). I'm sure they use a combination of the two to create a variety of affects. I've never been able to notice where a rumble is coming from while playing a game.

13. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

small correction... the motors are probably the same, its the weights that cause the different vibrations.

14. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

Yes, you're correct. I figured most knew what I was getting at.