Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleyeh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hello everyone,
I have a MacBook Pro, bought around two months ago.
Recently I notice, it gives unknown sound like "Ding" and "Shung" when I am doing nothing with it (I am bad with putting sound in words).
No new emails or messages from any softwares I installed.
It happens even after I quit all the applications, and it's unpredictable.

I am just wondering if this only happens to me
does anyone have a clue?

Thank you

Eagle

thedeviltrite

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
Hometown of IU
Did you ever solve this problem?

Did you ever solve this problem? Because I think the same thing's wrong with my computer. Have tried to troubleshoot to no avail. I'm at my limit of computer knowledge. What can I do to stop it?!

chachismith

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Unknown noise

I get the same error like message. It sounds like a cartoon ball bouncing. it occurs randomly with no indication of why it occurs.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
Interesting. I have had the same problem for a while, even after a clean install of Tiger.

To clairify -- its the sound when you have an error window pop up, you hit too many keys, or you try to CMD+C (copy) with nothing selected.

I thought I was the only one as I never seen any threads on it before, and I just recently mentioned it on another thread. I have with me a pen and pad, to write down the approximate time of the sounds, but unfortunately I have not noticed it happen since I got the pen & pad lol

It does seem random, and occurs even when no apps are open other than finder. Some days I hear it a lot, other days I do not hear it (or notice it anyway) at all.

I will keep my ears open and see if I can pinpoint the issue as I never actually tried too hard. I does not appear to be a big problem, it just gets annoying after a while.

PinBallAnnie

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Me too! Weird warning sounds

I've been looking now for a while to figure this out....

I have a MacBook that's about 1.5 years old, and it's only recently started making an alert sound, but I can't tell what it's alerting me about!

It has happened 5-6 times now when I'm using it, and also when it's closed and I'm across the room (it also lights up, and I only know this because I had gone to bed).

It's a weird sort of alarm sound dee-dah-dee-dah-dee but there's no dialog box or anything so I don't know what it's about. I have noticed that my battery life is getting pretty short and it will sort of suddenly go dark without much warning about reserve battery power.

Any ideas? It's like having an autistic computer--brilliant, but prone to strange outbursts. :confused:

gungadin

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
Pacific Northwest
weird new sounds on my macbook

I have had or still do...recently been hearing the 'thung" sound and a new more disturbing higher pitch "bleep" the last one is kinda like when a gameshow person makes a mistake. I am still a newbie like I suspect the rest of you are unfortunately.

I just went through the "repair disk permissions" ritual for the first time since I bought this Macbook in 1-08...I have read about it on these forums but never did it. The new noises and a couple blackouts scared me though.

Well it turns out there were lots of things wrong and so I was instructed to click "repair permissions" I did. Then you click "verify" ...It listed a bunch of things that are still wrong and the terrifying message..."The volume mac HD needs to be repaired." !!!

That is why I am here.

PS Even though I am a newby I do recommend that you also go through the steps of "repairing permissions" to find out if your computer can heal itself. Go to disk utilities in your Apps folder and click "Disk Utilities" - follow the directions from there. I hope it will help you and I won't see you later - wherever I end up on my quest on these fine forums! Good luck!

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
I'm here to report back on the error sound I noted in an above post. I have been unable to note any more sounds, as if they just stopped happening. Whatever the problem was appears to have resolved itself.

I still run the same programs as I did before, and have not done anything that I believe would fix or change anything.

As for the loud beeps people say they hear, that sounds like more serious things, as if coming from the mother board or something. Hope it isn't too serious of a problem.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
If you look at the "sound effects" page of the sound preference pane, you'll find a list of all the system alert sounds that OS X uses. If it's not one of those, it's something else. ;)

Mechanical beeps, yes, are bad things. Macs don't normally do that. If your computer is under warranty, have somebody look at it.

danielnyc

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Unknown warning sound, in my case, was from Skype...

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a sound caused by Skype every time one of my Skype contacts became available.

Was able to eliminate the sound in the "Notifications" tab of Skype "Preferences".

Hope this helps someone out there...

smcc308

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
I had the same issue. In the end it was my email. Everytime it ran a send/receive I would get this strange sound as if I had pressed the wrong key. You can dissable it via preferences from memory. Unfortunately I'm not at my MAC so I don't know the exact location of the option.

Hope this helps.

macara

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
same noise ??? with new mac mini

recently purchased and installed mac mini. weird sound hard to describe, occurs independently on any program or time.

between one minute to five minute intervals, or stop doing for hours.

it is not any sound from Sound File in System Preferences nor sound from Skype or Thunderbird Mozilla.

It sounds like Dhung (low) - Dhung (high) ---------- Dhung (low).
it comes from external speakers.

No beeping, clicking or any other sound comes with it.

Did you guys ever solve this problem ?

thanx

macara

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
YES, unfortunately I just heard that sound from mac speakers. (when unplugged external speakers)

macara

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
thanx for helping here BlueRevolution.

I don't think it is a dashboard widget. I haven't downloaded any.
I have read somewhere else it might be other external device making this sound, but I don't have anything but common stuff as speakers, scanner, printer and not connected external HD.

The sound reminds me a little bit the sound of downloaded file from skype, but it is not exactly the one.

I was hoping that I'll find more people with a such problem, but doesn't seem to be common problem of Mac.

I'm trying to record that sound but it is pretty difficult when it comes in totally unexpected time and not related to any application.

macara

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
almost solved

It looks like it is the wireless network in our house.
when I start the wireless connected laptop, or Skype on this laptop starts it almost always does this sound.
It still does the sound without starting the laptop but it might be just connecting or communicating of laptop to the router ?

tonyhowie1991

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
I get the same error like message. It sounds like a cartoon ball bouncing. it occurs randomly with no indication of why it occurs.

Have you got the basketball app installed on your dashboard as when ever i open my dash the ball starts bouncing and i hear it??
Just a thought???

macara

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
Problem Solved For Me

at the end it was the SKYPE notification sound of any contact becoming available. The new version of skype is little different and I could not find the setup for this until now.
feeling good to have it solved.

thanx all for help.

DavidToledo

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
Same Problem Here!

Hi Friends,

Same problem here and the same solution.

Skype plays strange sounds. Just click Skype -> Preferences -> Notifications.

Identify the sound that bother you and uncheck the "Play Sound" option.

Thank you all,

David

:):):)

ExoZed

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Outlook causing alert sounds on Mac OS

I discovered that Outlook 2011 was making an alert sound every time it couldn't connect to the server or had some other syncing error.

Go to Outlook > Preferences > Notifications & Sounds, and uncheck 'Mailbox sync error'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.