Unleash the Beast! New to Politics, Religion and Social Issues Forum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by highres, Aug 18, 2005.

1. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I am now at 114 posts and can unleash my political beast! I will try not to be too obnoxious and will follow the rules of this forum. I like and respect good spirited, intelligent debate on current events, politics, the environment, religion, history, vegetarianism, corporate global domination, personal privacy, freedom of information, open source software and operating systems, etc.

My personal politics lean somewhat toward the moderate left vs the right or neoconservative, grass roots versus big business, counter culture versus popular culture, intelligent debate and questioning the status quo versus conformism, and I question our countries military and political decisions whenever possible, a freedom guaranteed by the Bill of Rights and a duty I feel we all have as free thinking human beings.

I am also proud to be an American and when asked what my ethnicity is I say American not, "I'm part English, German, Spanish" or whatever. I believe that if you are born in this country you are an American. I am not particularly proud of many of my goverments policies or actions yet I feel this is still the best place to live on Earth.

Well I may not get any replies to this post but there it all is in a nutshell...I like MR because of the quality of it's members and the agreement to disagree with a little class and civility. Everybody I have come across has been genuinely helpful. I look forward to being a part of this community for some time to come, come what may!

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As long as you aren't a member of PETA, because the talk of equating serving sushi in front of live fish to poodle burgers sort of had me laughing my ass off.
    the Fish Empathy Project [​IMG]

But I don't want to be a Vegan, I like leather shoes, chairs, and hamburgers.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That reminds me. I was living in Russia for the 2002 Russian census. A census taker came to my apartment and interviewed me (so I am definitely one of the non-citizens living in Russia counted in the census). One of the questions on the census was what is my "nationality", which in Russian is somewhere between what we mean by nationality and what we mean by ethnicity. Anyway, I answered "American", which frustrated the census taker but she eventually accepted the answer. I discussed it with a Russian friend later, who said that "American" is not a "nationality" and that I should have answered that I was Jewish, which is.

Anyway...

Welcome to the political forum. You'll find that there are plenty of moderate (and not so moderate) lefties here, so you'll be in good company.

5. highres thread starter macrumors 6502a

highres

That is damn funny! What will all the mentally traumitized fishies do watching their sentient brethren being served up on sweet sushi rice with wasabi and soy sauce? Oh the therapy bills for Sigmund the Goldfish that will be incurred. The Fish Empathy project? *laughs* I believe in eating sustainable varieties versus endangered species and go out to sushi at least once a week or whenever possible. Oh and thanks for the welcome all...

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Jewish is a nationality?

Holy ****, I'm in the Politics forum!

7. stillwater macrumors regular

Fish empathy project ! That's a good one. :D

I wonder if big fish feel empathy for little fish? Oh, that's right . They eat them.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Bienvenidos. That's from someone proud to be an "American", too, and on behalf of the other Americans, Central Americans and South Americans. God bless the Americas. How are things around Scotts Valley, anyway?
    X

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not sure what's funnier, that or the PETA/Sushi thing. :D

highres,
    Please keep in mind that all of us down here like our preconceived notions and will cling to them like Steve Jobs to a one button mouse.

Also, we like links to legit sources. If you say something that's collectively agreed upon to be beyond the realm of Common Knowledge and don't provide a link to a legit source IJ will beat you with his cane.

Lethal

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Great I love the way Useans call themselves american when most americans don't live in the US.Welcome also.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

In our defense, the name of our country doesn't really lend itself to anything else. USians doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

And Jewish is a nationality according to the Russian use of the term. The US use of the term tends to tie land to ethnicity, which tends to leave out diasporas.

14. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Ahh. Just wondering. My Mom's one of those silly Jews who seems to think that Judaism is a religion...

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Where on earth did she get that idea? Moms, eh? :rolleyes: ;)

16. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Welcome, you lying paranoid fascist jingo bastard.

;)

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You'll fit right in. :cool:

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Der Spiegel always uses "US Amerikaner" to make it perfectly clear. It's not very elegant but it is much more descriptive. While I think some of the ado is about American bashing, I think we all could at least be aware that American can refer to anyone on the two continents.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find that most of the regulars are thoughtful considerate people. We do get a lot of blowhards come through, most of them don't last long, but the ones that do stick around are some of the sharpest people you'll find. I'll often run across some tidbit or story that would have completely gone unnoticed by me otherwise. And despite what Lethal says, there has been an awful lot of tuning of beliefs and views gone on in here. Maybe not as many full conversions (such as moving from a conservative one-button mouse to a progressive four-button mouse ;) ) but I know this place continually challenges me to rethink and defend my views.

Now the gloves come off. :p

But hey, you're off to a way more auspicious start than a lot of others.

BTW, I BBQ'd steaks last weekend in full view (and presumably smell) of the cows on the ranch here. Should I get them a psychologist?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nah. Gives them a sense of purpose...
    ;)

As for nationalities, whatever happened to Amerika and Amerikans? Aaahh, those were the days....

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course, almost as bad as having a beef BBQ event held next door to a hindu convention. :D

Full fish story from last week...

TampaTrib - Sushi Fundraiser At The Aquarium Called Bad Taste

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah it might. :)

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Since when have I beat anyone with a cane? Please provide a link! ;)

24. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Well, I didn't see a cane, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Canadians..

Or

Fascist..

ooh, my personal favorite

Imminent Domain
    :)

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Somebody is keeping better track of me than I keep of myself.

I am such a baaaad person. :eek: