Unlock iPhone to work with AT&T SIM Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewprime1, Sep 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Some background:
    I know this is a topic of much discussion, but I searched and couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I have an iPhone 3g (which I pay for a data fee on) that I love. My Dad would really like an iPhone as well, but can't afford the $30.

The question:
    I have an extra 3g that I got from a friend, could I jailbreak and unlock it to work with my Dad's SIM card?

I was thinking I would put my SIM card into the extra iPhone, Jailbreak it, unlock it and use his SIM. Can it be done? I dont see why it can't, but I haven't found evidence to support this.

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

You don't need to jb or unlock it to use a US iPhone with any AT&T sim.
    But if he's on post paid account they will eventually add the mandatory iPhone data plan to his account.
    The available data packages are $25 and $15 per month.
    No way around that unless he uses a prepaid gophone sim.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, so you are saying that he would need to be using a prepaid SIM card in order to avoid the data charges? Even if I unlocked it it would still require a prepaid SIM?

4. macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yes. AT&T will detect the iPhone's IMEI sooner or later and add the data plan to your account. The ONLY way around this is to use a prepaid SIM.

5. macrumors 6502a

is he currently using a non-smartphone? If so, leave the SIM card in that phone, ask AT&T to put a DATA BLOCK on his account. They might try to warn you that MMS won't work, that's OK.

Once the data block is on there, THEN put the SIM card in the iphone 3G. You may get by for a while this way. if they add the data plan, put the SIM back in the dumbphone and repeat the process.

6. macrumors 604

wordoflife

The SIMs are the same ... its just dependent on the plan you use it on (post paid vs pre paid).

7. macrumors 68040

ATT will add back the data plan almost immediately. It will become a cat and mouse game with constant calls to customer service to switch back and forth between no data and automatic data plan addition.

Not recommended.

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes.
    You can't unlock a phone that already accepts AT&T sims.
    You unlock it to use other non AT&T carrier sims.
    And yes AT&T will detect it on their system and send u a text that the iPhone data has been added.
    It's been like that for over a year now.

I agree.
    What he said above doesn't work.
    After a while they will get sick of you and won't remove it if you keep doing it every week.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie