Unlock the Powerful Power of your ATI cards!

Discussion in 'Games' started by msharp, Jul 14, 2004.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

The Retail version Radeon cards' performance is much better than the OEM cards for Macs. Why? Because Apple(or maybe ATI) has locked your card!

Recently an utility called "Radeon Enabler" has come out and can help us a lot! It can patch your original "ATI Displays" program and make it unlocked, in order to modify the default settings for the card.

So, let's do it!
    [1].Download&Install the original card utility "ATI Displays" released by ATI.
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/macosx-radeon-displays-425.dmg
    [2].Download "Radeon Enabler 1.1.1"
    http://www.radeonenabler.com/download/radeon_enabler-1_1_1.dmg.sit
    [3].Double click on the icon of "Radeon Enabler" you've just downloaded, and navigate to the folder/directory where lies ATI Displays, and click "Patch".
    [4].Well Done! Open the ATI Displays icon(should be in your Applications->Utilitis folder), and ignore the error notification(you see the error notification because OEM cards don't have a tv-out onboard).
    Click the "3D" icon from the left panel.
    Click "Add" button to add a 3D game or some program file to add a specific profile.
    Specify your own settings on your own below. And these settings will Override the settings of the specified program. Don't "Overdrive" your card too much, or you'll know what you'll see, just like a slide show.:)
    All right, there is nothing needs me to say, just try, and open up the full power of ATI cards!!

Imagine opening full effect(including the Multi & Super 6x FSAA, and 16x Anisotropic Filtering, etc) of Quake III, you'll know what "Radeon Enabler" brings.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Does this woid warranty? I certainly don't want to fry my $2500 PowerBook with Radeon 9700 Mobility!! :eek:

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Wow that's awsome thanks. This should tide me over untill I get a new video card, when I get the money.

4. m.r.m. macrumors regular

are only the ati cards locked or does this apply to nvidia cards as well?

5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Probably, that way is minimizes heat in the PBs

I would like a program to free up a few horses in my 12" PB's video card.

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

This app has been out for a long time. It works well I have it on my G5 but never found a use for it. It doesn't allow for overclocking simply the enabling of AA and various texture depths over riding program defaults. Sadly as the OEM cards physically lack so of the retail versions added details like TV out etc is is rather limited. Perhaps others will find use for it but I can only really see it being useful for gamers and/or professionals that do GPU based rendering.
    Of course different cards may have different features to unlock. It is safe to use anyway, I haven't had any problems with it.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

I was hoping someone would note that this has been out for a while. Get with the times, peeps! :p

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Is this like the DVD player no-region hack? Does it void my warranty to use this thing?

:confused:

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

No, DVD player hack, modifies the firmware in your DVD drive, this ATI app only modifies a software app, and in now way changes hardware, firmware or the like. I don't see why it would void any warranty, you are not physically modifying the hardware, just unlocking software that is locked on OEM video cards. This hack does not do any harm to your system (or shouldn't) it just allows you to use features that apple blocked.

Apple probably blocked the features becuase most poeple don't need to adjust AA and AF settings on their video card (and most of the cards that apple loads with their systems probably don't handle it that well).

Even if somehow your video card does get damaged(higly unlikely) all you have to do is trash the ATI displays app, and call Apple and tell them your system is not working. There will be no way for them to tell that you did any kind of software (hack) to your video card.

I would say go for it.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You mean ATI locked it to get people to buy the retail cards :D

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

nope, apple locked it, because you'll notice that APPLE is in control of the OEM drivers. ATI/nVidia provide them, and work with apple on them, but those drivers are supplied via Software Update, and there is no separate system preferences pane for this stuff like all other OSes have.

It's a pretty stupid argument to say that they didn't think apple users would "need to access" things like FSAA and AF, but that they would "need to access" all the hundreds of readily available low-level system files that you can go in and break in system/library

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Actually, you are quite wrong. ATI supplies all of these drivers to Apple. The only thing Apple actually ports to OS X is OpenGL. ATI uses OpenGL, but writes their own drivers, then gives them to Apple. Apple puts the drivers into the OS/Updates for simplicity. ATI released the ATI Overrides, not Apple. ATI could have released the Overrides for OEM cards as well, but chose to instead limit them to retail cards. This is 100% ATI greed and 0% Apple's choice.

13. mooshoo macrumors regular

ooo...where can i get the dvd region hack? i do a lot of travelling with my PB between the States and the Far East; it would be great to get it unlocked!

thnx!

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=30