Unlocked 3GS will not work with FR SFR SIM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ssajous, Feb 23, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Sep 13, 2007
    First let me start by saying that I do know what I am doing :) I have a 3G which I have unlocked and take regularly with me to France when I come here for work and I just swap the ATT SIM with the SFR SIM and everything works.

This time around I took a 3GS, that is from FR Orange that I have JB and unlocked and works with the ATT SIM in the US no problem. Except that when I got here in France this time around (without my 3 G :( ) I popped the SIM in and I get what you guys see in the screen shot, the network is found but the bars are horizontal so I get no reception at all. The SIM still works if I try it in another phone. I don't know if ATT still works on the phone since their signal is so spotty here and I just get no service with that SIM here -- I really don't see why it would have stopped working either.

I have read every thread on what I think are similar issues but nothing works. I cannot redo the j/b unlock from here since the computer that I use to sync with is back home and I would be without all my music for the rest of the journey and my trip back home. Please let me know if someone has ideas.

Attached Files:

2. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 13, 2007
    Wow, no one has advice?

3. macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2009
    hey there OP -- any update on this? looking to do the exact same thing in France with a ATT 3GS.

4. macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2009
  5. macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2008
  6. macrumors 68000

Mar 18, 2008
    Bracknell UK
    My guess is that this is a network-barred phone in France, ie reported stolen by the original owner and resold.

AT&T does not do this for whatever reason, hence why it works there.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2009
    so it's unique to his phone or some other thing? trying to figure this out as i'm headed there soon and want to do the same thing w/ my 3GS.