UnLocked Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Community' started by wrxguy, Sep 15, 2005.

1. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Has anyone ever used an unlocked cell phone or purchased one?? I need a new phone and found one i really like and it is unlocked and from what i can figure out it will work if you have a sim card, and with Cingular i do have one so it should work but i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As long as the phone is truly unlocked, you should have no problem using it with whatever carrier you want, as long as they support the broadcast standard used by that phone. The simple way to test this is to take the phone to the carrier's store and ask them to try it out... usually, the clerk will take the SIM card out of their phone, put it in your phone, and see if they can make and receive a call. If they can, then you're good to go.

3. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I bought an unlocked phone off of mobilebee.com and it works great w/ my t-mobile service. All you need to do is put your sim card in the unlocked phone and make sure all of your numbers are stored on the sim and you will be ready to use it. One other thing that you need to make sure of is that it will work in the US.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unlocked phones are always the best way to go if you can get them... then you can change plans and/or give your phone to a friend/family member without any problems.

The only advantage to "locked" phones is that the carrier will preset things like GPRS access (mMode, t-zones, etc.) but this can be configured manually.

5. wrxguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

this is the phone i bought and it says it will work in the US and is tri band so i can use it out of the country...personally I thought it is a pretty good deal for a cool phone

6. dcv macrumors G3

if you have a normal 2G GSM sim card it should work in any unlocked phone

i think the only time you might possibly run into problems is if you have a 3G UMTS USIM card, not sure that this is compatible with all 2G phones... or it might be the other way around (2G sim with 3G phone?) :confused:

ok i'll shut up now, i think i'm confusing myself!

7. wrxguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I played with the prototype. I thought it had good feel and a great feature set. The MMC card is a real plus; more phones should come with them. The fact that this has try-before-you-buy apps preloaded on it is also cool.

The browser is, well, not perfect, but it's far from the worst I've seen.

I think you'll enjoy it.

9. mpw Guest

Thanks to having a service provider monopoly you can only get unlocked phones here. Great for choice but it means there are NO deals to be had as there's no competion to make them offer free handsets/minutes/text etc.

The monopoly is mobile and landline which is the reason I pay twice as much for half the speed for my broadband connection than the mainland :mad:

10. wrxguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I ordered it today so im pretty stoked on it...and im 99% sure that it will work here in the states so i can't wait to give it a try....Now i have that ****** v551 and i hate it, so hopefully this will meet all my expectations.

just out of curiosity is there anyway to send the contacts from your cell to your mac???

11. mpw Guest

iSync? Has it got BT?

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I have an unlocked phone. I've been using unlocked phones for years just in case I need to jump ship and take my phone with me.

13. wrxguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Just to let everyone know i recieved my unlocked phone yesterday, I put my sim in and BAM! it works perfectly! I would recomend that anyone who wants a new phone and dones't want to pay ridiculous prices for one to do this....I went to the shopping icon at the top of macrumors and found my Nokia 6260 which isn't sold in the states so first of all I have a phone NO one has which is kinda cool, and its an awsome phone...I had to buy a new charger cause the one it came with is for over seas somewhere, but that is it!

14. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

iSync works nicely with USB data cables too. I've been using iSync via USB with a Moto v60 and v66.