Unlocked iphone 3G IOS 3.1.2 "SHOULD" / how do I update to IOS 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by LaMont82, Feb 23, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I just bought an unlocked iphone 3G with IOS 3.1.2 on BaseBand 05.11.07
    Would it benefit me to update to the new IOS 4.2.1 and if so, what’s the best way to do that?

Do I just update through itunes? and then use Pwnage Tool and Redsnow to re-JB & unlock my phone OR can I update through Pwnage Tool and or Redsnow?

2. macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I personally would NOT upgrade to anything above 3.1.3. I own an unlocked iPhone 3G also, and in my experience, iOS 4 is incredibly laggy on a 3G. It made my phone act like a dinosaur. However, I HAVE heard that some people's phones don't do it. But I believe that most do. As far as the advantges to upgrading...I can't really think of any. Not anything significant. You won't get wallpapers or backgrounding as Apple has these locked down to just the 3GS and the 4. The only thing I can actually think of is a slightly better looking homescreen - some of the icons are prettier and the dock bar looks different. So I personally would not risk turning my phone into a dinosaur for minimal upgrade features.

However, if you do decide to go ahead, there is a guide that you could follow, I'll post the link. But basically, download the 4.0 software from another website and download Pwnage Tool. Use pwnage tool to create a custom .ISPW to restore to your iPhone. Then option-click restore in iTunes and point it to the newly created .ISPW. But there's a guide that can explain it better than me.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...1-on-iphone-4-ipad-ipod-touch-apple-tv-guide/

3. macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I was searching for this exact topic, as I was thinking about updating the IOS from 3.1.3 to 4.2.???, but I will not. Thanks bro!

4. macrumors regular

As a 3G user as well, Anything above 3.1.3 is literally asking for death.

I know this isn't the hacks section, buuut..
    However, use Whitedoor. Its a third party firmware which is pretty stable (Not a single safemode reboot yet ;D) and I've been using it for a few weeks now; Works and looks and acts like I0S4 (Even has a multitasker that DOESN't lag) but its all based on the 3.1.3 we know and love-- Which just makes it obvious apple hates us.

I also suggest fake clockup for that extra boost of (what appears to be) speed, It runs the animations of an iphone a bit faster which just gives it a fresher feeling. Note anything over 3.0 does tend to hinder a 3G.

Whited00r also comes with folders.

http://www.whited00r.com/
    http://www.solidblogger.com/fakeclockup-cydia-tweak-iphone-ipod-touch/

Another p0r fav0r with it, Is it comes pre-jailbreaked.

5. macrumors 68020

Reach9

Completely agree as another iPhone 3G owner.