Unlocking 16x Burning in current G5s

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Grimace, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

According to this article one can unlock the 16x burning on a superdrive and get dual layer burning.

Risk aside, I couldn't figure out how to do it. Anyone got ideas?

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

flash it with the 108 firmware, i think you need a recent g5 to do it and you need to use patchburn, check www.xlr8yourmac.com for more info.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I would not be surprised since a Dual Layer and Single Layer DVD burner is the same thing, only difference is controlling the laser head intensity and that is done by the firmware.

The Dual Layer Discs on the other hand a challenge to manufacture.

It is only time when we will see a double sided double layer DVD disc. Something in the neighbourhood of ~16Gig per disc. :eek: :)

HD-DVD is due Nov-Dec 2005. ~25+ gigs on each disc.

4. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

I read this with great interest the other day, but later in the article they said it could not be flashed when installed in their G5. They switched it to a PC, flashed it, then put it back in the G5.

5. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

This is so stupid.. why the hell do they disable these features? it would surely give even more value to the powermac. I can't see how it would even eat iMac sales or any others, because it's not that big a deal. it'd be nice for the consumer though.

stupid indeed.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

From what I've read and heard if you do this upgrade you can only use Toast until Apple releases some official drivers. I could be wrong, just look into it first.

jon

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I did flash my Pioneer 107D so it doesn't limit burning speeds to what the disks tell you, now I burn any DVD at 8x... and since the 08 is 16x dual layer you could try it (and maybe need a PC to do the trick...) do the new G5's come with the 08 now instead of the 07 (I had one in my 'older' G5 but it still was advertised as 4X SDrive)