unlocking Icons for the trash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furiouso, Apr 15, 2005.

1. furiouso macrumors newbie

For some reason my computer tells me the icon is locked I put in all my proper codes the ones in which I sign in with,keychain codes etc but I still can't unlock and trash these icons. How to please. Am I missing a step.
    thanks

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The icon, or the file, you are working with might be assigned to another user on the system, so the Ownership or Permissions are not granted to you to delete them. To see these, Right click or Ctrl + Click if you have a one button mouse on the file in question, choose "Get Info" from the drop down menu. It should open another window and one of the sections is "Ownership and Permissions". Change the permissions to the file to your name, might need to enter a password, and then try to delete the file. Picture of window with the ownership and permissions area visable.

Attached Files:

3. furiouso thread starter macrumors newbie

not working

under ownership and permissions the box says read&write it wont allow me to change it to my name. I think either I downloaded something I shouldn't have or my roommate did either way how do I get rid of it.

4. furiouso thread starter macrumors newbie

still there

Ok I downloaded something and now can't get rid of it. I have these icons and they tell me I don't have privys. What gives I have tried what the other poster said and nothing has come up.
    Help

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

You could try holding option key while dumping the trash.

Or, log out... maybe some weird process is holding the file. After logging back in, maybe then you can delete it.