Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grunze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Hi,

I am by no means a technological guru, but here is my thought.
If the :apple:TV is capable of doing all the things that it does, then why can't there by some way to 'unlock' it to be able to wirelessly display a mirror image (or extended desktop) of your current display?

If it can sync information and dynamically transmit video, then it seems like it should not be too difficult to transmit it as a display..

That's my thought of the day.
Thanks for listening.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
The sole purpose of AppleTV is to extend iTunes to the living room so users can enjoy their content on a nice television... im not sure that you can unlock the appletv and if you do you would be fiddling with the firmware of it and thus hacking it and using it in a way which it was not designed to be and this voiding your warranty. You should not discuss such illegitimate topics in a forum where users wish to use their AppleTV's in the intented manner.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
You should not discuss such illegitimate topics in a forum where users wish to use their AppleTV's in the intented manner.

:rolleyes:

You mean a forum that has a dedicated 'iPhone Hacks' thread?

What's an illegitimate topic, exactly? :confused:

Thanks for trying to be the forum police zainjetha, but there are moderators for that sort of thing.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
People who only use products for their intended purpose are the people who never innovate, or are, as I like to use my personal nickname, noob sheep.

Original Poster ... break it, hack it, make it beg for mercy ... and when you do, make sure you tell us all about it.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The sole purpose of AppleTV is to extend iTunes to the living room so users can enjoy their content on a nice television... im not sure that you can unlock the appletv and if you do you would be fiddling with the firmware of it and thus hacking it and using it in a way which it was not designed to be and this voiding your warranty. You should not discuss such illegitimate topics in a forum where users wish to use their AppleTV's in the intented manner.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with modifying any product so long as the user understands they risk VOIDING THE WARRANTY.

If they are willing to assume that risk, then so be it.

It's like buying a car and wanting to " hop it up " a bit.

You bought the Apple TV, you own the Apple TV, you can do with it whatever you want. Just do it in the privacy of your own home! :eek:

kingicon1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
well... if you really want to, sure you can. Just install a full copy of OSX, install remote desktop and there ya go, a copy of your desktop.

I dont know... I guess I dont see the point tho.. what would you use such a thing for? it can already do video and images.. if your looking for more desktop space, I would assume that would mean the tv with the Apple TV is close to the computer, in which case there are much better ways I can think of to connect the 2.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I am by no means a technological guru, but here is my thought. If the :apple:TV is capable of doing all the things that it does, then why can't there by some way to 'unlock' it to be able to wirelessly display a mirror image (or extended desktop) of your current display?
People has hacked into AppleTV to run regular OSX, so yes it can be modified to mirror your computer screen. However, do not expect to play a movie on your computer and expect to watch it on your TV. The data rate for such an uncompressed image 30 times a second would be too high. You can try to use VNC to mirror a remote computer's screen to see how well the connection can be.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
The sole purpose of AppleTV is to extend iTunes to the living room so users can enjoy their content on a nice television.

Not with AppleTV take 2.

I've hacked mine. I can play DVD's (the whole DVD), .mkv's, .avi's, high definition content, check the weather, play NES, and even order pizza from it. Sole purpose or not, its a thing of beauty.

darkpixie08

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
Mr. matalino, how did you hack yours? Are there some good articles on doing this somewhere? I'd love to see a screen shot if you have one.

Grunze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you all for your answers...
My goal here is to be able to use my 42" lcd as a computer display. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, so I though it would be a cool thing to do.
The TV isn't very close to the computer, otherwise, of course I would just use a simple cable.

And by unlocking, I didn't mean it in a 'hacking' kind of way.. I means, why cant apple do that as a new feature to the appleTV...

I know there is a device called the SlingCatcher which will accomplish what I wan to do, however, it doesn't yet exist.

Thanks!

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Mr. matalino, how did you hack yours? Are there some good articles on doing this somewhere? I'd love to see a screen shot if you have one.

Check out awkwardtv.org's how-to section. The website is filled with lots of info. If you are not familiar with the terminal or ssh, it might take a bit of a learning curve. But it's all worth it in the end. Check out the NitoTV plug-in too.

Also, please note that the previous update erased all hacks and deleted all unauthorized content (not in iTunes). So with the "Take 2" update coming soon, we suspect that the same will happen again. Just a warning.

fgareri

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
i havent really gotten a definate answer yet, and i havent had the time to read awkwardtv, but is it possible, with minimal hacking, to hookup an external harddrive and play dvd images on the apple tv similar to how you would on ur mac using VLC Player?

this is the deciding factor for me. if i could do this i would buy it in like 2.3 seconds.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
i havent really gotten a definate answer yet, and i havent had the time to read awkwardtv, but is it possible, with minimal hacking, to hookup an external harddrive and play dvd images on the apple tv similar to how you would on ur mac using VLC Player?

this is the deciding factor for me. if i could do this i would buy it in like 2.3 seconds.

It depends on what you mean by "minimal hacking". There is no code rewrite or partition schemes you need to mess with. If you know what you're doing it takes less than 20 minutes. If not (like I did when I started), it might take days or weeks. But its worth it.

Install SSH
Enable USB storage
Install ATVloader
Install NitoTV from ATV loader

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.