unmounting FW drives in panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by shake, Dec 2, 2003.

1. shake macrumors regular

hello all,
    when ever i try to unmount any of my FW400 drives (i have 4), panther asks me to authenticate. i never had to do this with panther. is there a workaround for this (or a preference setting) that will let me unmount my FW drives without authenticating?

thanks!

2. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

no workaround. it wasn't in jaguar, but it seems to be a new feature in panther.

3. intendedaccel macrumors member

Re: unmounting FW drives in panther

I noticed this as well. What it is is that when you create additional users in the control panel, even if you give them full rights they are not admins like they were in jaguar. Only the account that was setup when you installed the OS is an admin. So if you are using one of the other accounts you have made it will prompt you before you can unmount it. It will not do this from the main account however.

On that note, has anybody found a way to make additional admins?

4. shake thread starter macrumors regular

hi there, just checked my account that i was using and it is an admin account.
    bit of a hassle to enter your password every time though....

5. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

it happens even if you are using the admin account (unless you mean this "feature" only occurs if you create other users other than the admin).

6. intendedaccel macrumors member

It doesn't happen on my admin account, but on my other full access accounts it does. :confused:

7. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

it happens on my main account ... i don't know why it would be different on different computers. maybe because i didn't do a clean install.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

That could be it. If doing an upgrade didn't create the main user from scratch, but rather used the existing users, it might not have updated the user to register as the main admin account.

I'd look in NetInfo Manager in the user and group settings to see if there is any difference between users. It may have something to do with the root password being assigned to your main admin's password. There may be more links.

Taft