unofficial MR wow guides

Discussion in 'Games' started by sourcemonkey, Jun 9, 2005.

1. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

i've been waiting until the end of this semester at university before buying world of warcraft for fears of getting addicted. It's due to be delivered tomorrow morning.

i've been looking around for some time now on the web for some 'intelligent' advice on class/race/skill/strategy etc. basically, i've been horrified at the kind of 'advice' i've found on forums etc. for example, "orcs are the best hunters because they are green' etc. etc. ad nauseam... another example of pointless advice is "just play it for fun, don't take it seriously" etc. although this is in some senses a reasonable attitude, personally, i feel that 'taking it seriously' can be part of the fun.

i was a big fan of diablo II, and after playing for a while i realised that developing a build strategy from the 'get go' was crucial.

as such, i'm turning to MR for some help in this regard. perhaps those of 'us' here could post some tips, builds etc. in this thread for everyones consumption. i've searched this forum already for something like this but found little.

can any MR wow 'pros' step up to show and prove?

(i've decided to start off with an undead rogue (reasonable?) any do's and don'ts for a noob in terms of commiting to race/class/builds etc would be apprciated.)

bring on tomorrow! (and hopefully bring on an uncritical response to this post!)

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

One thing I learned is, although there are some race specific abilities, it really doesn't matter which race you select, because these abilities don't weigh in too much. It's all about the class that makes gameplay different.

3. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I've played just about every class in the game and have found the Warlock to be the most fun and powerful. I am building him mostly in the demonology tree with a few points in affliction. This guy will be VERY hard to bring down in PvP and can solo some pretty tough mobs. I went with the gnome race because I like the starting quests. I made him a tailor/enchanter which seems to be working out OK. I got him to lvl 39 so far and a human paladin to lvl 45. The paladin is fun to a point but I hear they are weak in the endgame. Rogues are supposed to be great too, but I haven't tried one.

4. shortyjj macrumors regular

I think that most of the stickied guides/FAQs in the Blizzard WoW forums are usually good, fair, and exhaustive, much more so than any other resource I've been able to find. For rogues:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-rogue

Another tip: definitely feel free to start up a couple different characters. First, different builds can give a completely different play experience than what you might expect (who knew that shadow priests could deal out such serious damage?), and the rested xp bonus they'll accrue over time means you can level them very easily if you ever want to.

I love my mage, and played it exclusively for so long, but now have at least as much fun with my 36 druid and 21 priest.

5. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I got a mage to lvl 18. I find it frustrating because he can deal damage but can't take much before he dies. There is no pet to take aggro and no heals or drains he can do while fighting. Maybe I just don't play him properly...

6. coconn06 macrumors regular

I play a 60 NE druid, and I mostly raid MC/Onyxia/outdoor raid bosses now (very little PvP).

The first question is whether you prefer, or intend to stick with PvP or PvE, or both. That will affect your build. Also decide which type of server you want to join (PvE or PvP). I would suggest finding one in your time zone as well.

Undead Rogue is one of the most commonly found horde playes (rogue being one of the most popular classes in the game, and undead being the most popular horde race). Rogues, IMO, are a lot of fun and have probably the best selection of talents. You can't really go wrong. Even the typical ambush/backstab PvP builds work very well in PvE raiding. And the combat PvE builds work in PvP. If you like being a powerhouse, but somewhat fragile with a lot of techniques to escape and avoid combats, rogues are great. So really any build you go with will work great.

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I am intruiged with rogues. Maybe I will try one and see how it goes. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard that every fight is the same with rogues. How true is that?

8. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

If you want High DPS: play a rouge.
    If you want to kill things before the get to you OR you want to kill lots of things at once: play a mage.
    If you enjoy getting beat up: play a warrior
    If you like tanking and nerver dieing: play a pally/shammy
    If you enjoy sitting back mind controling things: play a priest
    If you like having a pet: play a warlock or hunter.
    If you don't know what you what you want to play: play a druid ;)

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

paladin: never dies, some healing, can't kill very well (once you get to high levels). The ultimate in survivability, but currently has a fairly boring playstyle.

shaman: considered by many the most powerful class. Can be a fairly good healer, ranged damage dealer, or melee unit depending on how you build it. But will never be as good at any one of those roles as, say, priest/mage/warrior

warrior: the best tanks, hands down. Can also be relatively high damage dealers depending on how you build them, and especially at end-game when they get some great weapons

hunter: ranged non-magic damage with a pet. not very useful in groups because the pet is pointless, but great for solo

rogue: best single target damage dealer, hands down. But they can't really do anything else.

druid: second best healer after priests, can also be a substitute tank or damage dealer by changing forms. Some ranged magic. Never going to be the best at anything, but very versatile, and often wanted when priests are in short supply.

mage: ranged magic damage, area of effect damage that is second to none. Extremely high burst damage, but currently begins to fall behind in damage at end game because melee classes get items that have a much greater effect on their damage than casters do. This needs to be addressed. Can't take very much punishment at all, but if they are protected, they can annihilate whole camps of enemies.

warlock: A mage with a pet. Inferior direct damage and area of effect. Relies mostly on debuffs and is more versatile in what they can do than a mage.

priest: the best healer in the game, and the most wanted class. People stand in ironforge spamming for priests all day long. But you better enjoy healing because even though priests can do other things, healing is all anyone wants you to do.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

First, you have to keep moving. Second, polymorph --> bandage (always have first aid maxed out).

A solo mage should be able to just barely take on 3 same level mobs if he polymorphs one. Frost nova, run away, nuke until they are free, cone of cold, run away, nuke as they approach, arcane explosion if needed. One mob should be dead, the other weakened, and the third still polymorphed. Finish the hurt one with instants and arcane missiles (assuming you have improved). You'll be low on health and mana, so repoly the third one, bandage, evocation (if you have it), and now you're at full health and mana with one mob left. If you don't have evocation, use a mana pot or conjured gem to get enough mana to finish the last one off.

At level 18 you probably don't have enough of your spells to do this effectively yet... don't give up.

11. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't nova break as soon as you hit them? It seems like I can cast nova, move away and then when I shoot them they break free. I'll have to work on him some more when I get my warlock higher.

12. shortyjj macrumors regular

Frostnova? Nope, damage has nothing to do with it. The duration can be rather short sometimes...

Also, don't bother wasting mana on higher levels of the spell, save it for other things.

I've said it at least a couple times in these forums, but: buddy-up with a healer. Paladin can greatly enhance your armor with devotion aura, priest can keep you healed and also give you a shield that prevents casting interruption. If you can't do that, at least stock up on some protection (armor) potions, it'll help...

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

So true. I'm hoping that once I get Berserk stance, things will just be gravey. My warrior is entirely Fury (I play on a RP server and it matches my character's story) but unfortunately most of the Fury skills are high level so it's rather tough at times, I'm lvl 20.

14. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

it's arrived so i'm just about to install it.

thanks for all your comments! and when i've leant a trick or two myself i'll throw my own input into the thread. :)

damn it i love MR.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yep, a mage paired with either a paladin or a priest (probably pally is better so you don't fight over cloth drops) is pretty awesome.

I think that alchemy is the best profession for a mage, but for the healing potions, not armor. Because of frost armor, the armor potions are usually useless anyway, but gaining a few hundred or more HP back with a healing pot saved my mage many many times.

16. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

which realm?

okay so i've waited patiently and now i'm wandering which realm to join. i did a search and my isp recommends only pvp realms. i was thinkingnormal may be the best, no?

i'm in auckland new zealand and i've heard west coast US servers are good for us here due to the time differential between the two countries.

are there any nz users here - nermal is not online - that can recommend the best servers on balance?

or, are there any west coasters here that can recommend a west coast realm?

as a noob i don't think it's worth joining a pvp realm yet.

any help?. i'm itching to start playing now!

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Maybe I can provide some insight. :)

Early on Blizzard took away the location of the servers from the listing... since the latency doesn't change, regardless of which time zone it's in. When it says "you've been assigned to this server," it goes by the population of that server; you will always get the lowest one (they did this to prevent overcrowding). It doesn't go by latency or anything like that.

The only difference between realms of the same type is the actual game time. You can check this by hovering your mouse over the sun/moon icon in the upper-right hand corner.

I would definitely recommend Normal, since I hear that you're always getting trounced on the PvP servers...

18. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks dferrara :)

which server are you on? it would be nice to be on a server where yourself and the other MR members par excellence are lurking.

19. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I was on Scarlet Crusade but I'll probably be moving to Shadow Council. These are RP realms, which means you roleplay your character. Some people find it too strict, but I love roleplaying and find it adds a lot to the already rich plot and gameworld.

20. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

so with the roleplay realms... they are essentially the same as normal realms but you stay 'in character' when messaging other players? am i missing the point or is that pretty much it?

this may be nicer because i hate all the idiot messaging you can be forced to endure from the 'younger' players.

21. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yep that's basically it! So instead of your character being "ilikefire" or something, you name yourself based on fantasy rules. There are still a ton of idiots, but once you get past the "newbie zone" things get a lot better. Players are also very creative and hold events, for example I went to a "sermon" by a Human Priest (religion in Warcraft is summed up as the Light). Characters have stories, follow plots... I haven't hit much of those yet, but I'm still in my newbie levels.

22. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, df, thats it! wish me luck! i'm going in! ;)

LEEEEEEROYYYYY!

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My credit's run out anyway :(

24. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, I started a human rogue last night after playing my warlock for a few hours. The rogue kills things REALLY fast. I'll have to keep playing him in my spare time and see how I like it. I've grouped with rogues plenty of times and they always seem to kick some major butt.

25. coconn06 macrumors regular

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean, but the latency DOES change based on what time zone the server is in. West coast servers have higher latency for me on the east coast. Similarly, there are no Australian/NZ servers, so players in those areas are constantly complaining about higher latencies. The fact is if the server is simply farther away from you, the latency will be higher (there are of course a lot of other factors involved, but overall, that's true).