Unpacking large rar files makes the memory go haywire...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcw, Jul 9, 2006.

1. pcw macrumors member

Jun 7, 2006
    Well I'm using a MacBook 2.0/1 GB of ram/10.4.7.

Whenever I'm unpacking lets say a DVD movie (90x50mb rar files) with UnRarX (v. 2.2 UB) the pageouts in the activity monitor goes like crazy.. and afterwards it's done unpacking, the system is hogged up because of that.. like I wrote I got 1 GB of ram and I thought it would be sufficient but now I'm thinking of getting 2 GB of ram.. am I the only one noticing/experiencing this effect when unpacking large rar files? Should I get 2 GB of ram?
  2. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    I have machine with 2 and 4GB memory, I get the same.
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

Interesting, but I would still think that more RAM would help out performance pcw. :)
  4. MacMarvin macrumors member

Jun 29, 2006
    Yep, I use the command-line unrar program and it does the same. OS X is jittery for a few seconds after extraction.
  5. pcw thread starter macrumors member

Jun 7, 2006
    Alright, also I'm experiencing alot of pageouts with the app "Shakespeer". Are UnRarX and Shakespeer that badly "programmed" so that they use the memory that bad?

Are the a reason for me to get 2GB of ram? Or should I just wait until better versions comes out and stick with my 1GB of ram?
  6. BigBoi1290 macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2009
    Unpacking .rar files

What about WinRar. Does anyone has the same problem with it? And does anyone know how to unpack a .rar file with WinRar?
  7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Aug 9, 2007
  8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Not sure it matters that much. After you have quit UnrarX the RAM is returned for system / application use anyway (probably before you quit really). Do you really want to buy more RAM just so you can feel good not getting page outs while un-raring a file?
  9. larkost macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2007
    With a 4Gigs of data moving in and out, you are going to get the disk cache working pretty hard, and so when some other application needs that memory space it is going to have to get paged out. This is a case of how not knowing how to read VM statistics gets you in trouble.

But I would recommend maxing out on RAM on any computer you have now (except Mac Pros... that is simply too expensive), but if you can go to 4 Gigs then do it (but only the newer hardware can... for example all white Intel iMacs are limited to 3 Gigs).