Unreal 2004 demo problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Feb 12, 2004.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I download the entire file. I launch it and the title comes up but then it just stops and disapears from the dock. I was connecting to friend via ftp client. My Power Mac G5 froze. But when I restarted the file pick up where it left off and completed. Did it miss a the crucial b¥te that let the thing open????
    im re downloading but i wanted to play before bed!!!!! No tommarow morning:mad:

2. alphaone macrumors 6502

You're out of luck for now. There is a bug in the demo with ATI cards.

"Obviously, there are bugs. Stress-testing on a wide distribution of hardware is part of the reason a demo materializes before the retail box. As some of you have realized, my ut2003 2225.1 fix for Radeons in Panther isn't in the ut2004 demo...the fix never got put into source revision, and was totally overlooked. This is my stupid fault, we'll correct it"
    That was Ryan Gordon, the sole mac programmer for 2k4.

Fortunately I have a Nvidia card :D The demo's great.

3. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

So hold on to the file i spent hours downloading?

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

unplug and usb or firewire cameras or mics you may ahve. i had an isight and it did the same thing, i have to unplug it.

iJon

5. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

can i get a link to your source that there is a bug with my ati card

6. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I jon wins the day.. There is no bug with the ati cards. I think ive seen you before do you post alot ijon? Any way you were right i unpluged my firwire hardrive and usb mic

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

4419 posts and counting. i dont think there is a bug with ati cards, although if there was it wouldnt surprise me.

iJon

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's some further information about the mic issue. I just sent this off to Mike at xlr8yourmac.com.

It was xlr8yourmac.com that originally made a bell go off in my head and I discovered the mic issue. Glad to see that the information is getting around. I hope that my new conclusions work for others as well.

9. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

So I read what you said about USB hubs. My Socom microphone was pluged into the back of my studio display. So I figures maybe that is a USB hub of sorts. So i pluged my mic directly into my tower and game launched fine.

Any one know when 10.3.3 is comming?

10. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Ut2004 demo is so bugged, its not even funny. Full version should be released within a month but demo they released is not even good enough for beta. Almost any aspect of the game u take has some sort of an issue with it. From mics not working to vehicles getting stuck in random places and wepons not balanced that well either. And assault gametype is neraly unplayeble. On 9800 fps often drops to low 20s with res 1280x1024.
    I have mixed feelings about ut2k4 for now. Will see how it does when it actually comes out.

11. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

He has a Dual/1.8 G5.

UT2004 is definitely pretty buggy right now but it is still downright addictive. I can't hardly pull myself away from playing Onslaught mode even though it's the only one map.

Also I have found that pretty much any Mac with a 1GHz and up processor running the same video card will get the same frames/second. I think the limitation is in the software at the moment. This is not to say the game plays bad as it actually for the most part plays better then UT2003. On an up note the developers say they have a number of optimizations that they did not include in the demo version that will be in the final version and should show some significant benefits in the Linux and Mac versions of the game.

13. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well, we will see soon enough.

14. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

i agree the G5 is not that great. I have one of the first ones out after that whole virgina tech stuff. I think theres something wrong with my computer but i cant prove it. :(

15. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

First off, I never said thereis something wrong with a mac. Something is wrong with a game probably.
    Second, if I were you, I'd sell your mac on ebay. You can get a great deal on ebay for your machine and technically its in perfect working condition.
    New G5s are expected to roll out soon, so you will be able to get dual G5 again w/o losing any money.
    Or can add about 400 bucks and get top of the line again.

16. bonk macrumors member

not exactly on topic - well, maybe it is... but I have not had any problems on my machine. I have a dual 2 with the 9800. I have everything jacked to max (1920x1200 on my 23") and it runs like a dream. granted, that's a high end machine, but it runs identically to UT2K3.

but my main point is that THIS GAME ROCKS! the onslaught mode is just plain fantastic. onslaught mode alone makes the old versions of UT feel half-baked and primitive. it's like a chess game. I mean - just running around shooting anything that moves? the UT experience has always been immersive, but now there's strategy involved. I know it's a rip off of halo, but as david bowie said, 'it's not who does it first, it's who does it second'. oh, and speaking of halo, it is unplayable on my machine. it's a disgrace.

stepping off my soapbox now...

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yup and they fixed the server ping problem and a ton of other bugs.