Unreal 2004 versus Quake 4 / Doom 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Dec 22, 2005.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

ok so i would like to just ask you all which of these games you prefer. I myself have played and own Doom 3 and unreal 2004. I for one was disappointed on the multiplayer of Doom 3 and thougght the game pace should have been faster. I like my games fast and I for one think unreal delivers.

I have seen some screens for the new Unreal 2007 and think in terms of graphics it blows Doom3 and Quake 4 out of the water. I like their art direction on unreal better than IDs on Doom/Quake series. So which of these 3 do you think is the best (Unreal 2004, Doom 3, or Quake 4) ? I think Unreal 2004 is the best overall. Also who is planning on getting Unreal 2007?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You are comparing Apple and Oranges in my view. 2 different types of games. Ut is for the most part just a fight the other guys with no story at all. Doom & Quake both have a story and take you through the story. For Multiplayer the UT wins but for a story driven FPS Quake + Doom win.

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think Unreal tournament is the best game. I have finished doom 3 and I was disappointed. No story, no gameplay... And really, I don't like that plastic style monsters and characters. It doesn't feel realistic. So, graphics are simply bad in Doom 3 for me. Quake 4 is a Doom 3 with better graphics and faster pace. But I don't like it either.

4. steelfist macrumors 6502a

comparing competition games ( like quake 3 and unreal tournament) and single player games (doom 3 and quake 4) is not logical. it IS like comparing bananas and oranges.

(ai sorry to be mean)

5. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Thanks for such an intelligent response :mad:

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree, comparing those games is really not practical, as they both target different niches (competition vs. story driven) in the same genre (FPS).

Its like comparing Mario Kart to PGR: They're both racing games, but each seeks to accomplish different goals. PGR strives for realism, while Mario Kart just defies it (sorry, that's the best I could come up with).

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The Quake4 multiplayer is just Quake3 with better graphics and some new guns 'n' stuff

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not that much better graphics in multiplayer. Ok player models are a little better, but less varied. The levels themselves are the most unispired bunch of palpable crap I've ever swallowed. They are so bland, so generic that it makes you forget the Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 war years ago. UT2004 left Quake in its wake.... in terms of multiplayer.