Unreal 2K3 skill levels

Discussion in 'Games' started by TyleRomeo, May 10, 2003.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

What skill level do you guys play on in the Unreal 2K3 demo? so far I can only win DM at a skilled level.

Tyler

2. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

well, I just started playing the demo and i started at Average bot skill level and i think its a little easy

3. Haberdasher macrumors regular

I noticed that, in comparison to the original UT, the skill levels have been upped. In the original, I could fight 1-2 guys on godlike, if I was in a good, twitchy mood.

I think I'm about even right now in 2K3 with the "experienced" bots. :D

I'll probably move up once I get a hang for the game more, though. Double jump really throws a lot into the mix.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Tell me how using low grav, I can use my 2ed jump on thin air?

Anyone willing to try and figure that out?
    edit: I know it works, I just want to know why they made it that way...

5. Haberdasher macrumors regular

I don't play low-grav, so I wouldn't know. Sorry.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i've been oscillating between skilled and experienced. i can dominate at skilled but get worked on experienced.

i have the same problem i had in the old UT. i dont get killed much but the enemies rack up more points killing eachother.

it also seems like if you find yourself ina room with a bunch of other players wailing on eachother the second you show up they all stop and turn on you.

seems mostly good difficulty levels though. they certainly have more levels than most games.= and i seem to be playing lower on the ladder than before. but a lot fo that has to do with better bots and unfamiliar maps.

what does the adrenaline do btw? i tend t play better when i get to 100 but it might just be me getting warmed up.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

8. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Screw the bots... multiplayer is more fun anyway.

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

thanks macman. you know i had killed some invisible bots and wondered how they got that way but never gave it too much thought. maybe that will help me kick some ass on the next level up. the skilled setting is getting old because i am killing them so easily.

what are the win conditions. sometimes it just randomly tells me i won and stops the match even though there is still plenty of time left.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

When I learned about double jumping and the adrenaline I went from rocket fodder on 'experienced' to whoopin ass on skilled. I'm about to move on up to 'adept' for a challenge. This is all in 'DeathMatch' the other types of play I find easier to master at even higher levels.

The outdoor deathmatch use to be the hardest level for me until I stuck to it and learned the level well. Now it's one of the easiest. Take the time to figure out where everything is. Also bots behave in certain patters so there are cetain areas of the level you can use as strong hold. You can sit there and frag away and then get health and ammo nearby and continue doing this and win the game without hardly moving.

Someone has got to host a server I want to battle it out with everyone here.

11. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

too bad there isnt a linux multihost server app for it. all the boxes i got that have any bandwidth are linux.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

any idea how much power (cpu, ram,bandwidth) this would require?

my web server should have plenty of bandwidth but im nt sure how an athlon 2000 with 512mb ram could handle serving this kind of content.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't think it should take all that much since it's just dealing with coordinates within the map and not actually handling the huge amount of data that the video rendering requires.

This shoud be a helpful site. It's for UT and UT2003 server admins.

http://www.unrealadmin.org/index.php

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

would this people able to host the mac osx demo?

there is a lot of material here to wade through but it doesnt look like it could. might have to wait until the full macosx release comes (though it could take that long for me to get this thing up and running)

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It shouldn't matter. As long as you run the demo maps I don't see why any Mac version shouldn't be able to connect.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

what about the weapons?

Ive never seen that nuclear device in the demo...

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's there you just have to know where to look. There are a few weapons that aren't in there including the one that marks a spot on the surface for destruction by a multi-gigawatt orbital laser.

Here's a link to the (Linux)
    UT2003 - Dedicated Server Installation for Dummies (Linux)

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i'll try it. my linux admin is pretty busy right now but he seems keen and trying it out. id like to keep it private though. probably have people here and at funmac.com private message me for a pass or something.

always looking for more things to do with my server (hence why i host all those sites for free).

this could be fun.

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here is a link explaining the hardware demands. Looks like you more then meet them.

http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=53

I agree that you should keep the game play in-house. I don't want to be fighting with some no-name PC cheater.

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes it would be fun. :D

Just gotta tell us the name or the IP or something... :)

BTW, I swear I can't find that nuclear device in any of the 2 levels...

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I was just reading a few forum threads and it looks like the UT2003 demo clients are unable to connect to a full version server. I think we should try it anyway as I found the wording slightly unclear and they were not talking specifically about the MacDemo.

If that doesn't work though you can always run the Linux UT2003 Demo which will for sure let other Demo clients connect to you just fine.

Here's a link to the forum thread where I was reading that the full server will not let the client demo to connect. It's just the very first post on the page.

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=264438

23. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well maybe i have a different idea of 'nuclear device' but there is a huge bad ass one shot gun in the indoor map. the area below the 100pt health (ground floor) where there is a lil river lined with the lil health vials. it leads around through a metal grill where the gun sits (if someone has gotten it recently you just see orange glowy blobs swirling) some ammo under there too.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There is a lot more then just the 2 levels. Have you tried any of the other game modes (i.e. capture the flag) they have there own game modes.

Okay on outdoor 'DeathMatch' there are those three spires in the middle of the map. On one of the arms that comes off of one of the spires sits the 'Defender' the shoulder mounted nuclear missle. Left mouse will simply launch it like a normal missle. Right mouse will launch it and you will be guiding it with your mouse, fly it around and find your enemy then fly it into them to incenerate them back in the basic elements they are made of.