Unreal Engine 3 demo movies

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacsRgr8, Mar 13, 2005.

1. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

4 of 'em can be found here

OMG! :eek:

Impressive!
    The quality of the movies is not all that gr8, and the sound is bad. But you can clearly see what it's all about!

I wonder, I wonder.... will it come to the Mac?

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Ryan Gordon has alluded that Unreal 3 Engine will see a Mac port :cool: Think of it like how Doom 3 was announced. It's unofficially coming (I guess that's the term I'd use for it), but will be officially announced later. I'm sure that made sense. :rolleyes:

The proof: http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=9909

Supposedly even a 6600GT can handle the Unreal 3 Engine without a problem, from someone in the IMG Forum. And that same person adds it might be targeted to the G5 for better optimization. This comes from placebo, who I think is on this forum. If you could, placebo, clarify who said they wanted to target it to the G5?

Anywho, the Unreal 3 Engine is looking impressive. For a better quality video, I recommend checking out the E3 video. It isn't a shaky-cam quality picture. And, the first video is pretty much what the E3 video showed and part of the last.

The physics engine parts were great. I like. Great thing is: no Havok!

3. MacsRgr8 thread starter macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ryan's words are promising indeed! :cool:
    Also the mentioning of Apple's own implementation of OpenAL in Tiger.

I have seen the E3 movie, but these movies do expose a little more: The city looks awesome IMHO.

So actually we are quite safe regarding 2 out of the 3 newer gaming engines:

Doom 3: yes :)
    Unreal 3: yes :)
    Havok: no :(

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Instead of buying a new dualie G5 with a 6800, you could just wait until November and buy an xbox2, which will use the unreal 3 engine for games.

5. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Is it just me, or is that speaker's voice REALLY annoying? You can barely undesrtand him, and I know its not just because the sound quality isn't so great.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I wonder what sys req this game will have?

UT2004 Onslaught 6vs6 (bots mostly) @ 1152x864 and everything set from Higher to Highest runs ~ 60 FPS on a P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM and GeForce FX 5500 128 MB.

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, except that Havok is a physics library, not a gaming engine. Doom 3 could have used Havok, and so could the Unreal 3 engine, but fortunately they don't. Future Doom 3-based games could still use Havok for physics, but it looks like the Unreal 3 guys are quite interested in having their own phyics, so that's probably safe.

--Eric