Unreal Mac OS X patch?

Discussion in 'Games' started by tjlazer, Oct 11, 2005.

1. tjlazer macrumors member

I read somewhere that there was a patch to get UNREAL running on X? I have the Original PC CD here, can I transfer the data and get this running on my Mac? That would be cool!!

2. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I know there's a patch for Unreal Tournament (technically still in the public preview stages, but quite functional). I've not heard of one for Unreal, but would love one if there is! :D

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In any case, you can't get a PC version of the game running on a Mac.

4. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

What if you had a copy of Virtual PC running on OS X? Of course, the cost of it and detrimental effects to the quality of the graphics/speed would almost certainly not be worth it anyway.

5. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

You can get the PC Version of Unreal to work on a Mac although the legality of it may be questionable (technically you arent licensed to use the mac binary). However for educational purposes only (to prove it can be done), here are the directions.

Download the demo of Unreal for Mac. Copy all of the textures, maps, etc from the cd to the appropriate folders in the demo. Run the patch for the newest version (you may have to play with the name of the folder to get it to recognize as a full version, or maybe theres a patch that you can just extract the whole files from I don't remember).

Note that for Unreal 1 there isn't an OS X native version, but it does run in classic.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that I was running it on a decent system in 1998 and it was pathetically slow then, I wonder whether you could actually tell that is was running under Virtual PC since there is no 3D acceleration.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no idea whether the OS X patch would work for the Windows version. If not, you should be able to pick up the Mac version for cheap :)

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Although I don't know if it is legal, after the data transfer, you can download the patch for the Mac and install it. That should do it.

As for OS X compatibility, the game runs perfectly on classic. If you have a decent system, the game will run at a very high FPS. There is no official OS X patch for unreal. There is only one for unreal tournament. However, in some torrent sites I had seen an unofficial version of unreal for OS X, that was based in the same codebase as Unreal Tournament OS X. Unfortunately, it had the same problems (no music, no OS X optimization).

Really though, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't play the thing in classic...

9. a2daj macrumors member

10. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

It would be an interesting experiment, and I'd like to know your result.

Also, the OS X launcher UT X Preview 3 may help. Then again, it may not.

The last version update for mac was v436, so ideally you should patch it to 436 on your PC. If not, there are some options on the Mac.

btw apparently utpg for OS X is still in progress and in testing. (www.utpg.org)

11. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

That page hasn't been updated in a year. I wouldn't hold my breath.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, and it's even better if you install OpenGLide. Normally with Unreal, the higher the resolution, the smaller the HUD elements are. But with OpenGLide, you can use resolution scaling instead, which lets you use really high resolutions but the HUD elements remain readably large. (Unreal had limits on the resolution anyway, but resolution scaling overcomes that too.) Also you can use FSAA with OpenGLide, which you normally can't use with games on Classic.

--Eric

13. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

If you're referring to UTPG, then the situation is more that Ryan Gordon is doing it in his spare time, and when he finishes, he'll let them know. Hence the first place to look for updates on UTPG for OS X would be Gordon's .plan over at icculus.org.

I've actually had the privilege to beta test some builds in the past month, so he is indeed working on it on & off, although I'm not sure at what state it's in now. I seem to remember him saying something about having to rewrite something from the ground up, but maybe I'm mistaken.