Unreal Tournament 04 Newbie

Discussion in 'Games' started by kerpow, Nov 7, 2005.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

I'm not really a gamer and Macs aren't made for gaming but I thought I'd buy a couple of games to play on my PB. It runs pretty smoothly and is as good as I've seen on any laptop, be it Mac or PC.

I'm quite happy learning the ropes on the single player mode to begin with but it would be nice to find a Mac specific user guide or website that can answer a few questions I have and maybe meet a few other relatively new players. For example, I joined a game the other night and had no idea how to get into, let alone control, a vehicle. Newbie stuff but if no one tells you its bit frustrating.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Good to know that ppl still play this awesome game. Enjoy! It's very cool!

Unfortunately I cannot play online, just stuck whith what I have - bots, but am still enjoying this game.

By the way, in Instant Action try to beat Xan in DM-Serpentine on Godlike skill level. :eek: I could only beat him with 10:9 score in my favor :eek:

In DM-1on1-Idoma I have no problem taking him out with 10:0 :D :cool:

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I am pretty good at UT04, so I'll give you the juice. IIRC, "e" gets into vehicles. You're going to want to use the manta. It's the hovercraft. The manta is very fast, has decent guns (great for destroying their nodes), but the best part is the alt fire. Space bar makes the thing jump and right click makes it drop.

The key to doing this well is practice. The manta will cut enemies in half. Basically, go as fast as possible and try to hit the other team from behind. They usually stick together and you can get 5-6 kills in the bat of an eye.

I play onslaught, which is like capture the flag. The link gun alt fire (right click with gun #5) charges up powernodes and repairs vehicles. If you want your team to win, charge every node you can. It's called a link gun because you can "link" the alt fire with teammates. This is the fastest way to charge nodes.

Do all this, and you'll find yourself with 100+ kills everytime (usually double the second place player). Your team will win most of the time too. Frag on...;)

edit: Oh yeah, play in the the "Demo" servers if you want to practice. They're usually full and let you hone your game enough to play against better players and clans without getting "pwnd"

4. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

one of my favorite games of all time. practice makes perfect. i am sure you will get a hold of it pretty quick.

the only real advice i will give is not really gameplay related, but it is something that i think is very important to getting good at this game: if you dont have a G5 and a great gfx card then tone down the graphics to the point where they look "ok" enough to you. You want to get the best possible frame rate you can get in this game, as often the difference between winning and fragging is a few pixels in any direction. if you have any type of lag, or performance loss because of loading textures and all that you will be killed before you even know what happened. the game looks great, and if you want to show off the looks to someone then play with some bots with all the settings pumped up. but when no one is around, and you are playing online to win, turn that crap down and kill everything that moves, and some things that dont.

good luck

5. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Ugh...I had a heck of a time with Xan going head-to-head, so I decided to change my strategy. I waited outside on HyperBlast, then when he had loaded up on all his weapons 'n' shields and such and came outside, I hit him with a shock rifle blast. Off into space he went. Reload, repeat, and win. :D

6. Melkor macrumors 6502

I just ordered it off amazon. Can't wait to play it. I heard it's the best online fps for the mac.