Unreal Tournament 2004 Woes

Discussion in 'Games' started by PlatinumBlade, Aug 10, 2004.

1. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Okay...so I have some new goodies from the Community Bonus Pack 2. The maps are quite nice. My problem is that when I host my own Listen server to play against some bots the game will dump to the desktop while trying to load the next map. It doesn't matter if it is one of the included retail maps or one from the bonus pack. Anyone else have this issue? I guess I could just go through them all playing them one by one but that is rather tedious.

Any thoughts?

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yes, I did. With one of the CTF maps (one with snow I can't remember the name) it crashes my G5... I still don't know what the problem is.

3. CannonFodder macrumors member

I imagine all it would take would be 1 windows-specfic path in a map file, calling a texture or the like, to cause it. I'm not certain how Unreal maps call their textures, sounds, etc. Just Q3, and I've seen that happen.

Hopefully alot of that content will make it's way to a Mac Game of the Year edition, should they release it, though I doubt anyone's going to take the time to run through everything to make sure it works flawlessly on our machines.

4. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Unreal Problems

Well maybe eventually us Mac gamers will receive the same kind of attention and dedication as the PC gamers do but I won't hold my breath. Gaming is an industry motivated by sales just like everything else and there are vastly more PC sales than Mac. :|

The key however is that the problem I'm having will happen with the game itself not just the CBP. If I start a listen server using only the maps supplied with the game itself it will still crash. I think a full reinstall making sure all the prefs are deleted is in order. I'm not sure what to do if that doesn't fix the problem.

5. CannonFodder macrumors member

I'll have to take a look at the map packs myself. I've got a new system drive with just a clean OS, and updates to 10.3.4 that I've been trying to get finished up for a couple weeks now.

I'll get UT2004 installed there and see if I have any issues with it.

6. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

UT2K4 Woes

I'd be interested in reading your reply. I'm wondering if it was the 10.3.5 update itself that caused an issue as I don't recall having trouble prior to the update but I can't really confirm it since I don't recall trying to run a server before I updated.

I'll be reinstalling it shortly myself and will see how things go. I do know that I ran into some permission problems after I updated to 10.3.5 so perhaps that could have been related to the issues I saw in the game. I don't know if there were any log files created anywhere on the system that might have pointed to the cause of the problem but I am going to try and look for them this time around so that perhaps I'll actually have some valuable information to give.

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Not really... Q3 is missing only the config file and one or two others, but other than that the information is still contained within the pack files.

As for UT, the files are stored in the same named folder/path directories as in the PC side.

8. CannonFodder macrumors member

I'm not talking about where the files are on an individual system...I'm talking about how they are referenced according to the map build process itself.

GTK-Radiant: You create your brushes, and then assign textures, sound objects, surfaceparms, lighting objects and models, etc. If you reference those individual aspects using c:\program files\blah, instead of <mod>/newmapfileshere using the Q3 dir as a root point, you're going to run into trouble.

I would imagine the same would hold true in Unreal and such, but I'm not familiar with UnrealEd at all.

Same goes for the actual Models within the maps. I've seen a model with a "c:\" reference embedded in it crash a server ;)

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about.

9. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Goes hand in hand...

This example backs up what I'm talking about when I say I'd like to see more self-contained applications. I would like to see support files done away with at least from the standpoint of having them elsewhere on a system. I think it stemmed from a desire by deveopers to decrease code size by sharing files with other applications, hence shared libraries and such. But now with hard drive prices being lower and sizes so much larger I'd like to see things developed to be more self-reliant so that when things go wrong it is easier to track down the culprit.

How many times has someone downloaded a demo of something or tried to run an application and had it come back with a message stating that something it needed to run was missing? If developers would stop coding things to require something that wasn't included in their own distribution these issues would disappear entirely. As for Unreal map development I see no reason why the editors can't be designed to want to stuff all their component pieces into the directories where the game itself was installed if for nothing else, simplicity of organization.

10. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Arrgh

Well I deleted UT2K4 completely (at least I think so) from my system and reinstalled it without CBP2. I tried to set up a listen server again to play against the bots and it still crashed and dumped me to the desktop after the first match. I'm not quite sure what to think about this....I think I'll send an email in to Macsoft tech support and see what they say.

11. CannonFodder macrumors member

Well, I know that with BF1942, if you don't have the port open on your firewall/router, even if you're just playing locally, it will bail with a "Can't bind to socket" error.

You might want to check whatever log file UT2004 creates (not the crashlog, though that might be of some use too) and see what it has to say.

12. spotthedog macrumors newbie

Voice Chat Problem! Please Help!

Hello,

I have set up a gigabit Lan network between an iMac G5 2GHz with 1GB of ram running macosx 10.4.3 and a G4 dual processor 500MHz with a 8500 raedon graphics card and 768MB of ram again running macosx 10.4.3.

I am using a single DVD (and cd code) to install the game on both computers in my house and I have updated the games with the 3355 patch.

The G4 has an external microphone connected through the line in socket and the G5 has an internal microphone.

I've set up the system without a firewall, all services running and appletalk running.

When I set up a game i can only properly join using the team channel. When I press the "activate microphone" button on the G4 - a bar appears showing the sound level. On the G5 this bar does not appear but the music stops while the key is pressed.

Sound is not transmitted though voice chat is on in the settings.

At one stage the activate microphone button stopped working at all on either computer (the music continued running) and I had to reinstall the game on both computers.

Another problem I've had is that any gun in the game on the g4 works properly, but the graphics are tilted tilted to right.

I love the game but I can't play it properly without these problems sorted out.

Your help will be very much appreciated!