Unreal tournament 2007 on Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bense27, Mar 5, 2006.

1. bense27 macrumors regular

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/692/692825p1.html

I found this article and it says it is coming out for the ps3, xbox 360 and PC. Does this mean it will come out on the mac too? Or does it take longer for games to come out on macs?

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

3. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Bense, the game is scheduled to be released for Mac sometime this year. Hopefully, it will be right after the PC version comes out.

4. bense27 thread starter macrumors regular

oh alright. Thanks.:)

-Bense

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It is not. It's not even scheduled for the PC yet; only a vague "end of 2006". I wouldn't expect the Mac version until 2007 sometime (hopefully early 2007).

--Eric

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Actually, I read someplace that they changed the "physics engine" or something like that, between 2K4 and 2K7, and it will not be released for Mac at all.

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I havent read anything for macs but I would doubt if there is a mac version, that you would see it earlier then 07. I might be wrong, but I believe this is going to be released for PS3 first, then PC and usually, the Mac version comes later then that even.

8. supergod macrumors 6502

I haven't yet had the chance to play any games on my computer, but I would probably want to get UT2k7 if it could run properly on my comp. Anyone think that an x600 XT will be enough to run the game at decent settings?

9. shanmui1 macrumors member

You need to read this :

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200603/N06.0302.1626.56656.htm

Especially the last paragraph!

Seems like only a PS3 can show the full glory of this game.

Then again, maybe Epic is just creating as much wild hype as possible.

10. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

I wouldent hold my breath about it tho. it will prolly be another crappy port to the Mac platform. there is no game that is ported to Mac that runs right. just look at some of the games that has been ported to Mac some of the games wont get patched or just out right play like crap on a fast enuff CPU.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, if you have a 450MHz G3, no wonder you think that. ;)

As for the Gameinformer article, also note that the last paragraph correctly says that it's a work-in-progress. This is how games usually work...they concentrate on getting it running first, and then they get it running well as one of the final steps. There's just no real way to say what performance will be at the moment.

As for the physics engine, yes it's changed from UT2004...they're using the Novodex engine from Aegia now. This already runs on Macs and has for some time, so no worries there; nothing like Havok. Not only will the game almost certainly be released for Macs, but Macs are even looking to get the editing tools this time. There was some question about it being maybe G5-only...that was before the whole Intel thing though. Obviously now it would be UB, but maybe still G5-only on the PPC side.

--Eric

12. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

no. i also have a G4 and every game ive tryed that has a windows counterpart dont run right on a Mac at all. even games on a windows with a celoron 500mhz runs better than on a Mac with a better cpu cause the porting companys fail to make the game right and optimize it. I dont plan on playing UT 2007 on a G3 or a G4 i was just adding that dont hold your breath cause it will more than likely get ported to the intel Mac than the PPC mac. and in the case they did make a PPC version it wont be great

13. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

haha:D

14. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I'm a little concerned about the performance I'd get on my 17inch powerbook. hmmm oh well

15. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i wonder whan they do bring it out if it will only be on the intel Mac or both. cause companys dont like to spent that much time on somthing that is not going to be around to much longer

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Did you see the spec's that Epic were demoing it on?

QUAD SLI 7800GTX graphics cards.. 4 of them :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously how is anyone going to get a decent game on any mac when generally we always have less frames per second than the pc anyway.

Hopefully the new PowerMac's will be able to have SLI graphics..

17. shanmui1 macrumors member

According to that gameinformer article, it sounded like the Dell they were running the demo on was only just barely coping - with 4 7800's and 2 gigs of vram!

It's gonna be quite a stretch of optimisation to go from THAT to running on an x600XT "at decent settings"!

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep that's what I meant above. Truly, is it worth having to invest so much money like that to play a single game decently. At around €500 per gpu, your talking €3500+ for a PC excluding monitor to play the game as the screenshots show it..

I believe it's coming to xbox 360 as well as Ps3, I'll settle for a console version, there's no way i'm investing that kind of money in a gaming rig - ever again.... Pc or Mac...

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Hey, its just pre-alpha version of the game, unoptimized. Hope a single 7800 can play it at decent settings.

As for me, I would run it on my iMac, even if the performance at the lowest settings would be ~ the same as my eMac runs UT04

20. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Yes, especially the part where it says "but the code at this point was still pre-alpha and completely a work in progress."

Edit: What eXan said :p

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True I guess. But no amount of optimising is going to produce the same 4 x SLI performance on a single card.

22. benpatient macrumors 68000

um...

When the Doom 3 alpha leaked, my machine couldn't play it at 640x480 with any sort of mentionable frame rate.

The final version of the game, on the same machine, was able to maintain good 30+ frames at 1024 with the detail set to 'medium' and 800x600 with detail set to 'high.'

you can optimize a lot. The quad 7800s were there more as an nvidia publicity stunt than as anything that the game needed. Yeah, it was barely running smoothly...but at what resolution?

23. csTYCOON macrumors newbie

Im super pumped for it, I imagine it will be an amazing game.

My 512MB X1900XTX should be up to the challenge :D

When they first did tech demos they said a 6800GT/Ultra is enough to play 1280x1024 with "medium/low" settings. So anyone with a 7800GT/GTX or x1800XL/x18XXX card should be set for it.

24. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

One of the great things about the Unreal engines is how scaleable they are. OK so you won't be able to run at max resolution with everthing on 'high' with any computer available today. For this game to truly look it's best you'll need to wait a few months after the game is released and then drop three grand. That's just the nature or PC games. But it'll still blow UT2k4 away on today's machines. I also have a hard time beliveing that the PS3 will beat a high end gaming PC or even a later high end Mac. Now if I could just get keyboard and mouse on a next gen console I'd rock the house. I can't see playing UT with a game pad, it's just too fast.

I've also been very impressed with the Unreal ports to the Macs. They ususally aren't too far behind, their patches are released quickly and they play and look good even on low settings. That said I'm holding off on a new computer until UT2k7 is released and by then maybe I'll be able to run Windows on an Intel Mac so I can use the editor. A UB native editor would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

25. csTYCOON macrumors newbie

Well the xbox360 has what the PC word calls a x1900XT in it. Its said they PS3 has what the PC world calls a 7800GTX 512MB. Which is pretty much, give or take. The same speed as the xbox 360. Both still powerfull.