Unreal Tournament (Classic) for Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Games' started by LimeiBook86, Jul 30, 2006.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

While playing Unreal Tournament 2004 today I started to remember the original game. Unreal Tournament (A.K.A UT Classic or UT '99) for Mac OS 9 back in the days before Mac OS X. Well if I remember correctly there was a beta version for Mac OS X, I think it was version 3, while it was quite buggy and had it's flaws it allowed the Mac OS 9 version to run on Mac OS X - of course it wasn't perfect but, it worked to an extent. Link: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12059

I've heard nothing since then. I remember hearing that "It's almost done" and so on but, nothing rally happened I guess. A few google searches didn't come up with anything tough.

So I'm wondering, are they still trying to port the original Unreal Tournament game from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X? Or did the project die out long ago?

2. socamx macrumors 6502

http://icculus.org/~icculus/

This guy WAS working on making a patch for Mac/Linux but he never finished and looks like he never will. More concerned with paying projects. Looks like we're stuck with that Beta 3 crap till the end of time.

To its credit though, the Beta 3 is workable and playable, just very buggy and has quirks.

3. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

YES!!! it works!!! I haven't had any problems with the beta, mostly cuz I don't play it much. My mac isn't that fast so the choppy FPS start to get annoying. Although it may be what socamx was talking about. Some of the choppy FPS may be due to the fact the patch is buggy. I dunno yer gonna have to see it to beleive it.

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

It works alright but, for now I'll just play it on my PC for now since it's less buggy :p

5. socamx macrumors 6502

BobDude: With the proper tweaking and game settings you can make the OS X Beta 3 run much better on an older Mac. Not really a bug I was referring, that's more of just shoddy coding.

The main bugs and missing features are such:
    - OpenGL glitches, although some Apple updates fixed some... but not all.
    - Download bug on extremely small & compressed redirected files (never finishes uncompressing).
    - No music in game.
    - Can't leave fullscreen period.
    - Not able to run a dedicated server unless you do it through Classic mode.
    - No software renderer, could be useful in some situations.
    - No advanced OpenGL options available in the UnrealTournament.ini.
    - Should have the same setup as UT2003/4 does, game is a big package, and all your personal settings go in your Users folder (Not multi-user friendly basically).
    - Extreme FPS inconsistencies, some maps run so butterly smooth, others absolutely chug, some maps do both. Even not very detailed maps. (Open a map that has a really large room or skybox.)
    - No OS X native UMOD installer, so no dice for Intel Macs.
    - Not universal binary, so it is workable on an Intel Mac, but still should be a UB.
    - No brightness control, needs an OpenGL setting in the ini for gamma control, but you can't add it in.
    - Audio is EXTREMELY loud, even on the lowest setting.
    - No ucc-bin, so no ucc compress/decompress, no dedicated server (as mentioned above), no command line goodness.
    - Server browser is broken, need to install EavyServerBrowser if your game freezes while trying to view the servers.

That is just all I can think of off the top of my head for now, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Still though, if you need to get your UT fix in OS X, it DOES work, even on Intel Macs. I've helped a few Mac guys on the UTChat IRC network before with some things.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, the last message about it on the website still is dated November 2004. I think we can say that work is good and there is no time for fun stuff. Of course, the fact that Ryan doesn't have to deal with America's Army any more may give him time to focus on other things.

7. socamx macrumors 6502

That and the UTPG site is no more, the UT Preservation Group.. guys who were working on making the new patches.

According to Ryan anyway he has far too many things to work on. It is a shame though, he was so close to finishing it. I've read the bug reports in the bugzilla on icculus.org, wasn't too far off from being complete. It is a big shame really.

Wish I knew jack about coding so I could offer my services in working on it. I'd sign a NDA to bring out a new patch for that game anyday...

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Maybe I should do it, while I still have time. I expect so much undocumented code that it could take months to decipher.

9. socamx macrumors 6502

I doubt they'd let just anyone do it though, even with all the NDA's and such to go through. Just wish he had time to finish it off, would be so great.

And apparently www.utpg.org isn't dead anymore, just extremely screwed up.