Unreal Tournament on 12in powerbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by student_trap, May 10, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hi guys, im thinking about buying a fps for my mac.

I remember playing some form of unreal tournament on my old (OLD) pc a few years ago and it was awesome! I was just wondering what it would play like on my powerbook 1.5 Ghz G4 with 512 RAM and a 64 meg graphics card? so how will it run on my machine?

Also, i remember playing soldier of fortune on my old pc, is this on mac? if not could you recommend anything similar?

Finally, where could i get (in the uk) UT 2004 for less than the £35 apple is selling it for?

thanks for any advice you can give!

2. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

3. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Hey-- I just installed Unreal Tournament on my 1.5Ghz Powerbook, and it runs fantastically. However, the OSX version of the game is a very crappy beta and crashes a lot. I can't do online play at all without it locking up.

The original UT was so good. It's a shame the OSX version wasn't ever completed.

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The best FPS for you will probably be Quake 3.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

UT2004 should be OK, just be sure to tweak your graphics settings. Run at 800x600, World Detail - Medium, Shadows - off or blob, textures at high (not highest) and everything else turned on and you'll be fine.

However you can play with these settings to find the best graphics/performance ratio for you :) Its the best FPS out there!

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I run it on my MBP and it has never crashed....

I'll tell you what I did, since I had already purchased the PC version (which can be had for like $8 now I think).

I then downloaded the mac version using BT and used my legitimate PC cd key.

Worked fine.

As far as I'm concerned its 100% legal.

7. socamx macrumors 6502

With the original Unreal Tournament, you may need to install a new server browser to play online. I've seen a few Mac-cases where it constantly freezes trying to load the server list. Fix I've found is to install the 'EavyServerBrowser". You'll need the UMOD installer off the CD.

Also, as bad as the UT OS X Beta is, it is still quite playable.

Edit: Also for all of you that want a completed UT OS X client, try bugging this guy's email at icculus@icculus.org. He WAS going to make it but claims to be too busy to finish it. He did a lot of work on it and even had a beta testing crew finding bugs for him. Honestly I think we deserve a finished update.

Attached Files:

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It's not.

9. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Everybody run! It's the Cops!

10. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

At least the company gets money this way. His only other course of action would be for him to eBay (or buy a used version) it, in which case the company does not make money. What's the problem here?

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Atari publishes UT2004 for PC, MacSoft publishes it for OS X.

MacSoft is getting the short end of the stick if you buy the PC version, download the Mac version, and use the PC key.

12. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Maybe they should change the key between the two versions.

Regardless, I paid $49.99 or whatever this game cost when it first came out.

There is no way I would pay another $34.99 for it again.

I'd just do without.

Regardless, I've probably played it for a total for an hour in the last 6 months....

13. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

My bad, I thought he was talking about UT99, which is a lot harder to find for Mac than UT2k4 is. I don't even think it's made any more.