Unrecognized MAC Address.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Habusho, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm an Osx noob and wanted to ask a networking question.
    On my router I have a DHCP client with a Mac address that I don't recognize. It's Mac address is not mine (under settings\Network\Airport) it's also given a unique IP address by two different routers that I'm using. It shows up under my router as *my first name*-552e15ow. It's not my modem either, I checked it's Mac address. I'm not trying to be overly cautious but this is a business pc and I can't figure out for the life of me what's using our internet connection.
    Does anybody know what this could be?

Thx
    HVC

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would help if you described your network and your computer...

What all is on your network? How are the two routers connected to each other? Does one of them relay or remote for the other?

Is this an Intel Mac? Does it run Parallels? Is Windows running in Parallels?

3. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, my network has just one router (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54) connected to a modem, speedstream 4100 I think. I've got a wireless print server (Dlink dpg-321)which shows up under wireless users with its correct Mac address and a windows PC which is sharing the internet connection, that also has its Mac address correctly displayed. That's it. I have a MBP C2D and I'm not running parallels or any other cross os program like that. So basically it's showing 3 wireless users that are correct and one DHCP user that has its own ip and Mac address that I can't figure out.
    Any ideas?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What are your security settings? Can you adopt normal standard security -- hidden SSID, MAC filtering, WPA? If you're worried about the device, this way, it gets kicked off. If you suddenly find something of yours is not working, you have your answer. Otherwise, you had a leach.

5. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I can adjust wireless filtering like the number of connections allowed, mac addresses allowed etc but my router doesn't have a setting to stop dhcp connections. In other words it's not listed under wireless connections but it shows it as a wired dhcp connection with its own Ip. I have the firewall enabled and I'm using dd-wrt firmware for my router.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The one time it's supposed to be written MAC...

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

That's funny pseudobrit, I was thinking exactly the same thing. :D

Well, if you set it to only allow certain MAC addresses, then no other devices could connect wirelessly, regardless of DHCP.

It shows up as a wired connection? Could it *possibly* be your modem? That would be weird, but, unless you have some other device physically plugged in to the router...

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you still end up wanting to know what's going on, put the first six of the MAC through this:

http://coffer.com/mac_find/
    And you can find out the manufacturer of the device with the unknown MAC address(es).

9. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

I did it. It says Micro Star International which I know is a hardware manufacturer. BTW the first six of the MAC are 00:13:D3.
    It's not my modem, that has a different MAC address.