Unrequested Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sparkleytone, Aug 10, 2002.

1. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

This is just really a piece of friendly advice to those planning on transitioning to Jaguar. (everyone)

It would be very beneficial to make use of the 20MB of space and the new Backup feature/app of .Mac to prepare yourself.

I for one have backed up my Address Book, entire Mail folder, Documents, playlists, bookmarks, and app preferences. This is mainly because I plan on doing a fresh format and install, like any OS install should be done. Hopefully importing the backed up material will be relatively painless.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Speaking of fresh installs... reformatting won't be an option for me. I have like 10GB of valuable "personal" data (inside my home directory) on my drive that I will not be able to back up until I can afford an external drive. Would it be wise to delete most everything except /Users from OS 9 before installing? Or will Jaguar be smart enough to figure out what to overwrite on its own?

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

4. Dr_Floyd macrumors member

it goes a great job of updating you wont need to back up

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

there is nothing wrong with backing up. You should do it on a regular basis - which reminds me -

thanks,

D

6. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i find a second drive most helpful. copy all your critical data to the 2nd drive, fresh format the first, then reverse the process.