Unresponsive Dock, Menus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cvstos, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Cvstos macrumors member

I had this problem back with 10.4.0, but last time it went away when I updated to 10.4.1. I just reinstalled Mac OS X on my PowerBook, and I've let it sit for a day so it's not Spotlight indexing thing. Whenever I tell the dock to auto-hide, in order to get it back I have to be in the Finder. Magnification? I have to click on the dock before it kicks in. The menu doesn't mouse-over smoothly either, the highlight doesn't show until I click something. I've restarted several times already.

Does anyone have a solution to this? This is a fresh Mac OS install, it shouldn't be behaving like this.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Make sure you repair permissions after any install.

You may also want to check your mouse and click settings in System Preferences.

3. Cvstos thread starter macrumors member

Did that already, no improvements.

New update: I can't access the top menu when System Preferences is in focus. This is getting annoying. Does anyone know what the Apple support hours are? I'd like to give them a call if no one here knows what's going on offhand. I can't find any other instance like this on the 'net.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of reinstall did you do? Since it may be related, why did you reinstall in the first place? What third party apps and hacks do you have installed already? I know there's a problem with the Dock and auto-hiding, but the System Preferences + Menu Bar problem's a bit weird.

5. Cvstos thread starter macrumors member

Complete reformat + reinstall. So far only Firefox, Thunderbird, MS Office, iLife, and iWork '05. Nothing out of the ordinary there, those are probably some of the most used apps on the planet.

I reinstalled to gain back HDD space. I had a lot of old apps' crap in the Libraries and all kinds of odds and ends. I wanted a fresh start, so I backed up my home folder onto my external drive and blew everything away. I'm still in the process of picking and choosing what I want to keep.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a brain twister. Is this with the built in trackpad or with a third party mouse/device?

7. Cvstos thread starter macrumors member

Yes (both). Whether I use the mouse or the trackpad, same result.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, what brand of mouse is it? When you notice this behaviour with the trackpad, is the mouse still connected? Sorry for all the questions by the way, but this problem's pretty weird. :eek:

9. Cvstos thread starter macrumors member

Logitech.

Wait a minute...

OK, this is weirdness, but the problem seems to have resolved itself. I use a USB splitter to connect several things to that port. I disconnected everything and then put it all back and it seems to be fine now. Damn that's weird. I don't know which thing might have caused it either, as the PB never had troubles with my printer, mouse, or (heaven forbid) iPod, and they all seem to be working fine now.

Well, regardless of the oddball nature, I'm glad it's resolved. Thanks mad jew!

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, no worries mate. I'm glad it's all good now. :D