Unresponsive Mouse Input (weird)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheLee, Dec 14, 2006.

1. TheLee macrumors member

Ok, so this is really weird.

It's as if OS X has stopped tracking the location of my mouse, only keeping track of it the first time an application boots up or when I click with the mouse.

What I mean by this is that alot of things that are based on mouse positioning (tooltips, dock app labels showing up, menu highlighting, displaying image alt-text on websites, showing the proper cursor icon based on context) DON'T work properly EXCEPT for when an app first boots up (so if my mouse is hovering over the close/minimize/resize buttons when it first boots up, the labels will appear, although they won't disappear until i click elsewhere) or when i physically click with my mouse, at which point OS X recognizes the mouse as being at the point of wherever I clicked... until I click again.

This produces really weird behavior - using menus is weird as if I click on one menu item and then click on another, the second menu item will drop down into its submenu but then immediately disappear (as if I had clicked twice). If I'm editing some text and try to close the window, the cursor remains as the I-bar insertion cursor until the moment I click, where for a split second (as the window closes) it turns back into a normal cursor. I can't read Dinosaur Comics's second joke (which you get by hovering to get the alt-text of the comic's image) unless I physically click on the image, THEN wait and hover. And I get really weird tooltip behavior: tooltips will appear for items that I'm not actually hovering over - so long as I clicked on it before and then stopped moving my mouse (as if I was hovering) before having clicked on something else.

I repaired permissions, I tried logging in as other users (i also have a guest and admin account), I tried rebooting, I tried safe booting, and none work. Interestingly, while I was typing this up, there was a very brief few seconds in which everything worked fine again (at which point I left this page and lots the message I had been writing) until after about 10 seconds it flared up again (at which point I had to retype this message grrr).

Help!

2. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Wow, it just momentarily fixed itself again. The dock started showing highlighting/label-appearance behavior with mouse hover, the X - + labels for close/minimize/resize buttons started appearing upon mouse hover, mouse-hover features in websites started working again (such s the various tabs on macrumors.com menu highlighting upon mouseover), and menus started working normally again (with items getting highlighted as the mouse moved over them).

Things are broken again, now, but I'm just randomly running and closing apps to see if I can figure out when exaclty the mouse works.

3. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Interstingly, I've discovered that iTunes seems to be the only app whose close/minimize/resize buttons still recognize mouse hovering even if nothing else is recognizing mouse hover.

4. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Euh?

It appears I've solved the problem - atleast I hope what I'm experiencing isn't a temporary everythings-ok situation that just happens to be really long.

the only thing I did is that I removed the windows partition I had made using Boot camp; I didn't do anything with the partition (it turned out my xp cd's were all sp1 and wouldn't work), so it was just empty... i don't see how having this partition would cause such input problems, though, especially since i've had that partition for about a week yet input problems have mainly occured in the past day or so.

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Glad to be of service to ya. lol
    Nice to hear it is all going good for you. All you needed to do was talk about it. Computers are like kids. Take them to the doctor because they are sick but once you get there, BOOM, there isn't anything wrong with them.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Should the problem occur again, restart. I'd also suggest repairing permissions from time-to-time.

This had nothing to do with BootCamp.

7. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Ugh... this problem resurfaced just 20 minutes ago.

I'm at a loss at this point. Restarted, repaired permissions (nothing was wrong), and I'm totally confused.

8. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

safari seems to be particularly affected - i can't even click on the menu bar for it anymore.

9. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

Help!

The entire OS just completely stopped responding to mouse clicks. I had to completely cold boot it.

Now i'm burning my valuable data to a CD because I'm starting to get really nervous about my system.

10. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

....and everything works again.

This is honestly frustrating me deeply because I can't pinpoint exactly what happens when things go wrong and when things go back to working again.

Could this be an internal hardware issue? The mouse isn't the problem, and i've checked all the USB ports.

11. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Its probably something simple. Don't worry yet.

Here are some things to try:
    Reset Safari (Under Safari in the menubar) - Long shot, but you said yourself Safari was particularily affected.
    RAM - How much RAM do you have?
    Verify Disk - In case there's something wrong with your HD.
    Reinstall OS - Should everything else fail, this usally fixes any software based problem. Don't reach for the install discs just yet though.

12. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

I haven't reset Safari - I did clear the cache though on suspicion earlier on - don't know if this had an impact on whether things starting working again.

I have 2 gigs of RAM.

I've verified disk (no problems) and did an apple hardware test (no problems).

While I did say Safari had a particularly bad problem, the complete OS "crash" (when everythign stopped responding to mouse clicks) happened while I was checking out the system preferences (safari wasn't even running then).

13. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

For lack of a better idea, I'd archive and install OS X.

If it doesn't work in other accounts, isn't a RAM related problem, there doesn't seem to be an application at fault, there isn't any disk related problems, permissions are fine.......It probably something obscure, be it hardware or software related.

Alternitivley, you could visit an Apple Store or Reseller and have them fi it. This could be a minor or serious problem, dpending on whether its your machine or the OS malfunctioning.

Whish I had a better suggestion, sorry.

14. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

hm... well, i think i'll go ahead and schedule a session with a genius.

If it gives you any more ideas, the problem screwed up again and I decided to play Call of Duty 2 to take my mind off of work for a bit, when, LO AND BEHOLD, the mouse wouldn't work at all! The only time it actually recognized movement was if i actively held down the mouse button. So I had to hold down the left mouse button to move my mouse through the menus and exit the game.

It eventually fixed itself again, which leads me to believe that the only cure seems to be the passage of time.

But this leads me to a quandary: does OS X handle mouse input graphically differently from internally? I know that when I was having these problems with world of warcraft, I could still move the mouse (even if it was getting "stuck" on interface items internally); yet with Call of Duty 2 i couldn't even do that. The only differenc eI can think of in input handling is that WoW uses a hardware mouse for rendering purposes, so that the graphical display of mouse movement is independent (iirc) of actual frame rates or system capabilities, whereas CoD2 uses no such thing.

So, if OS X does something similar (use some kind of hardware rendering to make graphical cursor rendering independent of system processes/load), then could there be some kind of obscure bug in which there occurs a distinct mismatch between what I'm seeing and what's actually going on internally?

I'm reaching for straws, since I've been pretty much out of ideas forever.

15. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Hey, I never bothered to ask what machine your running?

16. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

20" iMac with 2GHz Intel Core Duo (not 2) with 10.4.8.

17. TheLee thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately, i'm already at 10.4.8, and the link in the article only talked about how to verify which usb ports are working (which they all are).

:confused:

thanks anyway for the help, though.

18. JBMT macrumors newbie

Same thing

I realize this is a very old thread - but did you get it resolved? We are experiencing the same thing. Optical mouse works fine with our power book but not our desktop. Seems like it's asleep. Have to shake it or click on something to wake it up. Tried mouse preferences but didn't see anything that made sense.