Unsanity ShapeShifter - Reliable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edesignuk, Jun 10, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's been a long time since I installed any theme altering software, since I had a bad experience with one a long time ago (had to re-install).

ShapeShifter looks pretty good, but before I take the plunge, I'd just like to know peoples experience with it, have you had any trouble. Big problems with OS 10.3x updates etc?

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i used it for about 5 minutes before i realized that apple went with aqua for a reason... :)
    it might have caused a very slight slowdown, but nothing very noticeable to me...

you might want to wait for someone's opinions who's actually used it a lot before you download...

reality

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i've used it "quite a bit" ;) rather, i've *tried* it quite a bit... I love the concept, and some of the themes are absolutely beautiful... however, like reality said, OS X is aqua for a reason. most of that mentality is just our fondness to tradition (i.e. the thing we see everyday) however, the interface has been so finely crafted, that after awhile, i just go back to aqua... every time.

additionally, i bet you are referring to one of the older theming programs: duality, themepark, etc. ShapeShifter has NEVER given me any problems, its a safe software utility, it's not classified as a "hack". But hey, it never hurts to do a backup beforehand, does it?

try it, but my bet is you'll want aqua back ;)

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Some people recommend ThemeChanger as a free alternative to ShapeShifter.

I don't know if I'd really want to mess around with Aqua - it looks pretty good if you ask me.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I use ShapeShifter and find it to be vary reliable, I've never had a problem with it. Although it does cause a slight slowdown in the speed of the Finder.

If you decide to do it, stick with a theme you really like. My whole computer is oriented blue. ;)

Attached Files:

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

To the above attachment: Shinobi, kick ass!

A lot of the new theme packages require Shapeshifter, since the packages are in .guiKit format and ThemeChanger can't install such packages.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i clicked :mad:

but it was :cool:

8. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

i used to be able to force quit between messages on that in os 9 i cant now (damn the speed of osx)