Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I received the iPhone 5 on the first day it became available via pre-order. I've been using an iPhone exclusively since 2008. (iPhone 3G.) In 2010 I sold my iPhone 3G and upgraded to an iPhone 4.

From the start I should say that I think the iPhone 5 is a terrific phone. Extremely bright screen, best iPhone colors to date, wonderfully light, little to no lag in anything I do with it. I find it slippery with no case but I use a minimal case so it's a non-issue. Excellent photos, dual band wi-fi, LTE, it's wonderful.

Okay, that's established. Well despite all this I can't wait to try something very different. Specifically a phablet. I've demoed a few 4.7"-5" phones and while I do think that screen size is preferable for my needs, I find the Note II screen size to be what I truly want to try next. In fact the only reason I haven't purchased the Note II now is because I strongly prefer IPS screens and I think I've potentially found 'the one' with the Optimus G Pro. At this point I'm just waiting for the darn thing to be officially released in North America. Q2 is the vague answer that we have to accept for now.

Another issue, and this is a smaller one but still lingers, is that I'm starting to think that having an SD card slot and removable battery is the ideal setup. I love having all my music locally stored on my phone but every time I potentially need to restore my iPhone I have to reload all my music back onto the device. I also really like the idea of bringing an SD card on vacation and filling it up with pictures and videos that wouldn't currently fit on my iPhone 5. And the removable battery is a no-brainer for how it can be useful.

I'm curious if any other current iPhone 5 users feel the same as me. I do think Apple should and will eventually release a 4.8"-5" iPhone. But I think my perfect iPhone would sport a 5.5" screen with a removable battery and SD card slot.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
No need to tell us about your new desire in a phone, simply go buy it and move on with life. Have a good one and hope you find happiness.

Oh, and you can check out any of the other threads asking this very question for some more answers to your question.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The only other smartphone I'd consider right now is the HTC One which will be released next month. All the other smartphones are big ugly chunks of plastic.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
No need to tell us about your new desire in a phone, simply go buy it and move on with life. Have a good one and hope you find happiness.

Oh, and you can check out any of the other threads asking this very question for some more answers to your question.

Did you think that maybe I wanted to engage in a discussion with others who do or do not feel the same way? Perhaps I should have posted this in the 'alternatives' section.

Last edited by a moderator:

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
My iPhone 4 contract is about to expire and i'm not really inspired by the iPhone 5 thus far after playing around with my friends iPhone 5 for a while.
Yes it's abit faster and a tad bigger but thats it really.
I'm going to sit out this one and wait for the iPhone 5s or 6.
Screen size/iOS will play a part in my next apple purchase or hello Nokia Lumia!

I think that's a cool story bro!:D
Better get sipping that Koolaid ;)

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Seriously, there are plenty of threads on this topic already; why not post in one of them instead of starting a new one? All the people getting bent out of shape about their phones and talking about jumping ship are starting to make this sound like the XDA forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Safari is snappier.

Yeah that worries me. Probably the only thing that does. My hope is that the default browser is solid. I like how it has navigation buttons on the bottom, like mobile Safari.

----------

All the people getting bent out of shape about their phones and talking about jumping ship are starting to make this sound like the XDA forums.

I think that it's a sign that there is currently a huge hole when it comes to an iPhone in the 4.5" - 5" range. I expect said hole to be filled by Apple this fall or next year.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Did you think that maybe I wanted to engage in a discussion with others who do or do not feel the same way? Perhaps I should have posted this in the 'alternatives' section.

Don't worry about known antagonists and Alternatives would be a good place for discussion without distractions. I've been exclusively an iPhone user since day one and I'm only now wondering if I should look around. The 4 and 4S put a damper on the iPhone for me that the 5 hasn't completely overcome. I doubt the next iPhone or next iOS will be innovative. However, as Apple planned I am neck deep in the ecosystem.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Don't worry about known antagonists and Alternatives would be a good place for discussion without distractions. I've been exclusively an iPhone user since day one and I'm only now wondering if I should look around. The 4 and 4S put a damper on the iPhone for me that the 5 hasn't completely overcome. I doubt the next iPhone or next iOS will be innovative. However, as Apple planned I am neck deep in the ecosystem.

I thought about posting in 'alternatives' but it's a very pro-Android crowd so I thought this section would be more level.

I loved my iPhone 4 but I started to want a larger screen after a while. I thought 4" would suffice but it doesn't. Also using and loving my iPad Mini really drives home the point that something between an iPhone 5 and Mini that fits in my front pocket would be ideal for my needs. I'm confident the G Pro will be just that.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Don't worry to much about the iphone 5, go and get the phone you like.

I love my iphone 5 and I think it is the best iphone ever, I have all iphone versions and every day I use my iphone I love it.

I will also buy the new iphone 5S and keep buying an iphone forever. I love not to worry about spyware, malware, and also I love using the same app I have already buy, the same for music, movies, and more.

I only buy an app, music, or movie one time and all my family could use it on their iphones or ipads.

The iphone 5 is the best selling phone ever and it will keep selling more and more because there is no other phone like it.

Maybe a bigger screen could it be nice for some people but it is going to be difficult to not drop your phone or do other things with your phone. If you like to use something with a bigger screen buy an ipad mini and keep your iphone in your pocket.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Yes. Alternatives section is the way to go. People here freak out if you talk badly of their precious product. They also get upset when you waste their time. They seem to forget that they are sitting here reading a forum, most of which is filled with noob questions anyway. My ignore list is getting too long lol!

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I received the iPhone 5 on the first day it became available via pre-order. I've been using an iPhone exclusively since 2008. (iPhone 3G.) In 2010 I sold my iPhone 3G and upgraded to an iPhone 4.

From the start I should say that I think the iPhone 5 is a terrific phone. Extremely bright screen, best iPhone colors to date, wonderfully light, little to no lag in anything I do with it. I find it slippery with no case but I use a minimal case so it's a non-issue. Excellent photos, dual band wi-fi, LTE, it's wonderful.

Okay, that's established. Well despite all this I can't wait to try something very different. Specifically a phablet. I've demoed a few 4.7"-5" phones and while I do think that screen size is preferable for my needs, I find the Note II screen size to be what I truly want to try next. In fact the only reason I haven't purchased the Note II now is because I strongly prefer IPS screens and I think I've potentially found 'the one' with the Optimus G Pro. At this point I'm just waiting for the darn thing to be officially released in North America. Q2 is the vague answer that we have to accept for now.

Another issue, and this is a smaller one but still lingers, is that I'm starting to think that having an SD card slot and removable battery is the ideal setup. I love having all my music locally stored on my phone but every time I potentially need to restore my iPhone I have to reload all my music back onto the device. I also really like the idea of bringing an SD card on vacation and filling it up with pictures and videos that wouldn't currently fit on my iPhone 5. And the removable battery is a no-brainer for how it can be useful.

I'm curious if any other current iPhone 5 users feel the same as me. I do think Apple should and will eventually release a 4.8"-5" iPhone. But I think my perfect iPhone would sport a 5.5" screen with a removable battery and SD card slot.

I tried the Note II, great phone all around, smooth, fast, did everything ,my IP5 does except some apps, but that being said, it is a great phone and only reason I did not keep it was a tad too big for me, also some of my Health HRM devices have no Android apps, as Nike has a specific agreement with Apple, so I went back, but have not one single regret, also battery life was great.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
but every time I potentially need to restore my iPhone I have to reload all my music back onto the device.

POTENTIALLY = means hasn't happened yet, may not happen, as often as you think it may. May really be non issues.

All your wants, except a bigger screen, is been the gripe of Apple products since forever, yet...

If you take that much picture during your vacation, u would most likely take a real camera with you. I say this because my vacations also tend to be vacation-photography.

You are asking, "I can do more..." If (big if) run into these situations. Apple has decided, those items are not as important as you think. If they they are, go Quantum.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
POTENTIALLY = means hasn't happened yet, may not happen, as often as you think it may. May really be non issues.

All your wants, except a bigger screen, is been the gripe of Apple products since forever, yet...

If you take that much picture during your vacation, u would most likely take a real camera with you. I say this because my vacations also tend to be vacation-photography.

You are asking, "I can do more..." If (big if) run into these situations. Apple has decided, those items are not as important as you think. If they they are, go Quantum.

I've needed to restore my iPhone 5 on three occasions since I started using it. So yes it does happen.

My days of using a point and shoot camera are over. I use my iPhone 5 for all photos.

So no, I'm not speaking in hypotheticals. Also I don't know what you mean by quantum.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I don't blame you for wanting one of the really large screens. I do too and have used the Note 2 quite a bit even though my daily driver is an iPhone 5.
Most people never use the SD card slot or removable battery. Google is not supporting SD cards in the latest version of Jelly Bean and never really liked them as they run apps poorly, are a pain to manage, and are not very reliable. This is why you see fewer and fewer Android phones with SD slots.
Of course you could get an iPhone with 32 or 64 GB.
I don't see the point of a removable battery because mine lasts long enough and I can't carry batteries on an airplane anyway which is the only time I might run out of battery. Also there is the Mophie or similar option as I'm sure you know or have a charger in your car.
The Note 2 camera is not nearly as good as the iPhone 5 camera especially in low light.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Problem is this "discussion" has been recycled over and over again since even the iPhone 3G. Its simply getting old now every time a new phone (Apple or otherwise) is released

The basic gist of the "discussion" you're looking for is this; some will agree, others won't.

At the end of the day if you're unsatisfied...buy something else and move on. Simples.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
As others have mentioned, life is short.
Try out a bigger phone and get ready to be happy until the next new thing comes out. :)
And if it doesn't work out, you can return the phone in the grace period or upgrade to another phone when you are eligible again.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Haha, immediately when I saw all the flak you were getting, I knew that this had originally been posted somewhere outside of the Alternatives section :D

I've been using iPhones exclusively since 2008 too and am in the process of switching to the Note 2 from my 4S (the 5 never really got me excited in the first place). The screen size just makes so much more possible, and I don't mind the size of the phone. Like you however I do prefer the punch of IPS displays. But - I find the Touchwiz functionality and especially the S-pen just too much to pass up. I'll continue to suffer just a tad from the slightly dim and yellowish screen though...

But again, the Note 2 is just so freaking useful. Right now I am writing an article about a TV series, and I'm planning to just jam the SD card full of episodes (will have the Note in a week or so) to quickly browse through when on the go, while taking notes using split screen multitasking. This is a real productivity device.

So good luck in finding the big screen device for you, please come back and post your experience when you do, I'd like to hear what you ended up with as I'm sort of on the fence myself (ahh them sexy IPS screens....:().

As for iPhones, maybe in the future when Apple start to make things exciting again and bring on larger screens, I'll be back. I don't think we'll ever see expandable memory or removable batteries though. Right now, all I dream of aside of the Note 2 is the Note 3 most likely coming later this year. Judging by the updates from S3 to S4, I think the Note 3 might just turn out to be the best smart phone ever made.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 owner here.

I had the Note 2 for a while as well and it's an excellent phone. There were two reasons why I returned it. 1) I already had the S3 and it just felt like a bigger version of it to me. I didn't need both, so back the Note 2 went. 2) It turned out to be just a little large for my liking. That's a personal thing, though. I could easily fit it in my pants pockets, but holding it in one hand was a bit of an adventure.

Those being said, I'd recommend it to anyone that's looking to try out the "phablet" kind of phones. While I didn't use the S-Pen very much, I can see how it would be useful to others. But the screen is bright and beautiful and the battery life is outstanding.

One thing I can tell you, for me at least, is that I don't think I'll own another phone that doesn't have SD card support and a removable battery. Heck, I could even deal with it not having the removable battery, but the SD card is invaluable. Why, you ask? I mean, I don't carry music on my phone or anything like that, so why would I need a 64gb SD card in my phone?

Well, I'm one that likes to tinker. I love rooting and flashing new ROMs. I also like using the camera on my phone over a point-and-shoot. With the SD card, I can save everything to it instead of the phone. I'm not slowing the phone down. And if I want to flash a new ROM, I have everything backed up to my SD card, so when I get to the setup part of the process, my phone is ready to go in about 20-30 minutes (I've got my Nova Launcher layout backed up and all my apps using Titanium Backup. I don't even need a network connection or wifi to get everything back on the phone and ready to go).

My S3 is my daily driver and my iPhone 5 just sits there most of the time. I'll eventually pass it to my wife (she's got my old 4S). I'm still debating grabbing the S4 once it comes out, but I'm so happy with my S3, I may just wait and see what the next Nexus device looks like later this year.

Either way, I'd definitely recommend the Note 2 if you're wanting to try a bigger phone. It's a fantastic piece of tech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.