Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Most people never use the SD card slot or removable battery. Google is not supporting SD cards in the latest version of Jelly Bean and never really liked them as they run apps poorly, are a pain to manage, and are not very reliable. This is why you see fewer and fewer Android phones with SD slots.

Actually it's the opposite. Most Android devices in 2013 have SD card slots.

Removable battery is invaluable. I'm not saying everyone needs it, but I could definitely use it for something outside plane use.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I've needed to restore my iPhone 5 on three occasions since I started using it. So yes it does happen.

My days of using a point and shoot camera are over. I use my iPhone 5 for all photos.

Is settled then. You are ready to move on.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Problem is this "discussion" has been recycled over and over again since even the iPhone 3G. Its simply getting old now every time a new phone (Apple or otherwise) is released

The basic gist of the "discussion" you're looking for is this; some will agree, others won't.

At the end of the day if you're unsatisfied...buy something else and move on. Simples.

And it will continue to come up as long as Apple does not offer screens larger than 4". I don't think your attitude makes sense. You personally are tired of discussing this so that means people shouldn't bother bringing it up. It's a topic of discussion on countless tech sites. And for good reason. And what I'm trying to do, and somewhat succeeding, is to try to see how others share my feeling on this. That is the point of a forum after all. If this topic doesn't interest you, it's pretty simple, don't be a part of it. Don't tell me not to bring up this discussion. That's insane.

----------

Is settled then. You are ready to move on.

Again, the point of this thread isn't to establish whether I'm ready to ditch my iPhone or not. It's to find out if others feel the same way or not and to discuss such a thing. My God some of you are so sensitive to anything that relates to moving on from an Apple product. Grow up.

----------

Haha, immediately when I saw all the flak you were getting, I knew that this had originally been posted somewhere outside of the Alternatives section :D

It's clear that talk of leaving the iPhone really bothers some people in this section, whereas the people in 'alternatives' seem to embrace such talk.

I will post my thoughts about the G Pro in 'alternatives' if and when I get it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's clear that talk of leaving the iPhone really bothers some people in this section, whereas the people in 'alternatives' seem to embrace such talk.

I will post my thoughts about the G Pro in 'alternatives' if and when I get it.

Am I missing something? This thread IS in the "alternatives" section.....

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
And it will continue to come up as long as Apple does not offer screens larger than 4". I don't think your attitude makes sense. You personally are tired of discussing this so that means people shouldn't bother bringing it up. It's a topic of discussion on countless tech sites. And for good reason. And what I'm trying to do, and somewhat succeeding, is to try to see how others share my feeling on this. That is the point of a forum after all. If this topic doesn't interest you, it's pretty simple, don't be a part of it. Don't tell me not to bring up this discussion. That's insane.

Whats insane is you putting words in my mouth. I never said you shouldn't bring it up. Its a relatively free forum you can do whatever the heck you want.

All i was doing was talking about why you got this reply...

No need to tell us about your new desire in a phone, simply go buy it and move on with life. Have a good one and hope you find happiness.

Oh, and you can check out any of the other threads asking this very question for some more answers to your question.

...Its a valid point. Because there are several other threads about this topic. So don't get pissy when people point out that very fact.

My God some of you are so sensitive to anything that relates to moving on from an Apple product. Grow up.

...It's clear that talk of leaving the iPhone really bothers some people in this section

I think you're the one thats too sensitive. Stop flattering yourself. No one really cares if you move on from an Apple product or not except maybe Tim Cook or Phil Shiller. Many people on this forum already own multiple smartphones from various manufacturers. Trust me...its not that big a deal.

But hey, continue with your discussion. All the best.

Last edited:

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
My only gripe with the Note 2 is the general lack of proprietary mainstream app support. For example, the Nike heart rate monitor and when new games come out, they always look better on iOS.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Need+for+Speed:+Most+Wanted/feature.asp?c=46679

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Modern+Combat+4:+Zero+Hour/feature.asp?c=47563

Developers know that, save for a few jailbreakers, most of the people who want to play their game on an iPad or an iPhone/iPod Touch, will have to pay for it. A few sales will slip through the cracks due to Chinese programs and jailbreaks, but for the most part, you either have to pay $7 for Modern Combat or you have to wait for it to go on sale.

With Android, a higher percentage of people can just download it from a torrent site, sideload it and play. So which do they invest more time into? iOS.

That, combined with the HRM's/better 3rd party accessories, makes the iPhone a good fit for me now. But man that S4 is REALLY tempting me.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Whats insane is you putting words in my mouth. I never said you shouldn't bring it up. Its a relatively free forum you can do whatever the heck you want.

Your original comment to me essentially amounted to nothing but, 'this comes up a lot, pick what you want'. That's great and all, but provides nothing to the discussion. I know I can pick whatever I want for whatever reasons. The point is I began the thread in the first place because I suspect there are other MR members who are in my shoes. Hence, a discussion about said topic. I felt your original comment was pointless really other than to tell me it's been brought up before.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Your original comment to me essentially amounted to nothing but, 'this comes up a lot, pick what you want'. That's great and all, but provides nothing to the discussion. I know I can pick whatever I want for whatever reasons. The point is I began the thread in the first place because I suspect there are other MR members who are in my shoes. Hence, a discussion about said topic. I felt your original comment was pointless really other than to tell me it's been brought up before.

Your thread can be equally considered pointless. All you're doing is looking for people to coddle you and tell you that switching from an iPhone is OK because they've done it too. Well thats pointless.

There are other members who feel the way you do and are already discussing in several threads in this sub-forum.

Here are two example threads in this same sub-forum.

iPhone 5 to Note II

iPhone 5 to S4

One of them is even a user who recently switched to the device form factor you're looking at. So one would think you'd just reply to that thread and continue its discussion.

But your fragile ego won't consider that would it, because your discussion is different and deserve its own new thread right.

More power to ya.

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I received the iPhone 5 on the first day it became available via pre-order. I've been using an iPhone exclusively since 2008. (iPhone 3G.) In 2010 I sold my iPhone 3G and upgraded to an iPhone 4.

From the start I should say that I think the iPhone 5 is a terrific phone. Extremely bright screen, best iPhone colors to date, wonderfully light, little to no lag in anything I do with it. I find it slippery with no case but I use a minimal case so it's a non-issue. Excellent photos, dual band wi-fi, LTE, it's wonderful.

Okay, that's established. Well despite all this I can't wait to try something very different. Specifically a phablet. I've demoed a few 4.7"-5" phones and while I do think that screen size is preferable for my needs, I find the Note II screen size to be what I truly want to try next. In fact the only reason I haven't purchased the Note II now is because I strongly prefer IPS screens and I think I've potentially found 'the one' with the Optimus G Pro. At this point I'm just waiting for the darn thing to be officially released in North America. Q2 is the vague answer that we have to accept for now.

Another issue, and this is a smaller one but still lingers, is that I'm starting to think that having an SD card slot and removable battery is the ideal setup. I love having all my music locally stored on my phone but every time I potentially need to restore my iPhone I have to reload all my music back onto the device. I also really like the idea of bringing an SD card on vacation and filling it up with pictures and videos that wouldn't currently fit on my iPhone 5. And the removable battery is a no-brainer for how it can be useful.

I'm curious if any other current iPhone 5 users feel the same as me. I do think Apple should and will eventually release a 4.8"-5" iPhone. But I think my perfect iPhone would sport a 5.5" screen with a removable battery and SD card slot.

I had the iPhone 3G and later iPhone 4 for a total of about 4.5 years. I got the Note 2 on launch day and haven't looked back. It is truly an amazing device that will redefine what you think portable devices are used for. It is no longer just a phone with a dinky browser but a full grown up browser that can have flash and a screen to match. SD card slot, available battery upgrades (I'm using 4,200mAh and it's the same physical size as stock) so I get ridiculous battery life. 18hr and it's only half way done.

I would definitely get the Note 2 because the software customizations are really nice and the battery life is actually really good and useful when you need it! Easy to transfer all my music over and manage the phone's built in filesystem. To be honest the OS is a teeny bit less quick in terms of how responsive interacting with menus is than iOS is right now but having these make it worth it: quick settings like WiFi brightness and bluetooth available anywhere, multi window multitasking, battery life, AMOLED screen with incredible contrast, haptic feedback, custom keyboards, Google Now, widgets, S-pen (super useful for writing down info during a call, take the S-pen out and a floating pop up note appears).

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Most people never use the SD card slot or removable battery. Google is not supporting SD cards in the latest version of Jelly Bean and never really liked them as they run apps poorly, are a pain to manage, and are not very reliable. This is why you see fewer and fewer Android phones with SD slots.
Nonsense.

Of course you could get an iPhone with 32 or 64 GB.
Sure. Pay Apple an extra $200 for $20 worth of extra storage. Or, pay $50 and have a device with 80GB or more storage.

I don't see the point of a removable battery because mine lasts long enough and I can't carry batteries on an airplane anyway which is the only time I might run out of battery. Also there is the Mophie or similar option as I'm sure you know or have a charger in your car.
The Note 2 camera is not nearly as good as the iPhone 5 camera especially in low light.
I carry batteries on an airplane all of the time.

But seriously? You make no sense. First you don't see the point of a removable battery and then turn around and recommend a battery case--essentially a kludge.

Oh, and the assertion that the Note 2 camera is not nearly as good as the iPhone 5 is also nonsense. If anything the iPhone 5 takes slightly better photos under the right conditions. But as pointed out the features that the Note 2 camera has makes it about equal.

Michael

----------

Your thread can be equally considered pointless. All you're doing is looking for people to cuddle you and tell you that switching from an iPhone is OK because they've done it too. Well thats pointless.
You probably meant coddle but in either case I don't think that was the point of her posting this.

She probably wanted input in case there are any gotchas that she missed.

Michael

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Some people want to make sure they've heard all the arguments before they decide to switch. It's a vested decision and if they just make it impulsively, they might lose money in the process. Constructive debate about the benefits and arguments against their decision gives them the information they need to make the most prepared decision they can.

If there's an argument they can't satisfy or a flaw they haven't answered to, who better to point it out than naysayers?

There's no need to get personal about all this guys. Unless you're the person using the phone OR who makes a living off of its success, this is all just gadgetry.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I received the iPhone 5 on the first day it became available via pre-order. I've been using an iPhone exclusively since 2008. (iPhone 3G.) In 2010 I sold my iPhone 3G and upgraded to an iPhone 4.

From the start I should say that I think the iPhone 5 is a terrific phone. Extremely bright screen, best iPhone colors to date, wonderfully light, little to no lag in anything I do with it. I find it slippery with no case but I use a minimal case so it's a non-issue. Excellent photos, dual band wi-fi, LTE, it's wonderful.

Okay, that's established. Well despite all this I can't wait to try something very different. Specifically a phablet. I've demoed a few 4.7"-5" phones and while I do think that screen size is preferable for my needs, I find the Note II screen size to be what I truly want to try next. In fact the only reason I haven't purchased the Note II now is because I strongly prefer IPS screens and I think I've potentially found 'the one' with the Optimus G Pro. At this point I'm just waiting for the darn thing to be officially released in North America. Q2 is the vague answer that we have to accept for now.

Another issue, and this is a smaller one but still lingers, is that I'm starting to think that having an SD card slot and removable battery is the ideal setup. I love having all my music locally stored on my phone but every time I potentially need to restore my iPhone I have to reload all my music back onto the device. I also really like the idea of bringing an SD card on vacation and filling it up with pictures and videos that wouldn't currently fit on my iPhone 5. And the removable battery is a no-brainer for how it can be useful.

I'm curious if any other current iPhone 5 users feel the same as me. I do think Apple should and will eventually release a 4.8"-5" iPhone. But I think my perfect iPhone would sport a 5.5" screen with a removable battery and SD card slot.

If I were to recommend a one of them it would be the note 2, but that is because I prefer android. My question for you is size the only reason that you want to switch? If it is the only reason you will not be happy with the switch at all. If you still really like iOS then you really are not going to care for android. Now if there are some other things about iOS you don't like then maybe you should make the switch. If you are looking for more customisation or a new way to accomplish task then yes android would be a good option. There are just too many threads on here of people saying "I tried this or that android phone and I hated it worst phone ever". They never really wanted to like it.

I had the iphone 5 after having 3 android phones and did not like it. I have owned iphones before so I knew what I was getting into, but all I did was try to see how android had out done iOS in my mind. I am now back to android and using the note 2 and love it. Honestly if I could give you one bit of advice it would be if iOS as a whole works for you there is no reason to switch just wait on Apple to make a bigger screen. You might be waiting a while, but at least you will save yourself some time. But if you really don't like how something works in iOS and have done your research on how android does it then maybe you should make the change. Just make sure you do your research first on android.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If I were to recommend a one of them it would be the note 2, but that is because I prefer android. My question for you is size the only reason that you want to switch? If it is the only reason you will not be happy with the switch at all. If you still really like iOS then you really are not going to care for android. Now if there are some other things about iOS you don't like then maybe you should make the switch. If you are looking for more customisation or a new way to accomplish task then yes android would be a good option. There are just too many threads on here of people saying "I tried this or that android phone and I hated it worst phone ever". They never really wanted to like it.

I had the iphone 5 after having 3 android phones and did not like it. I have owned iphones before so I knew what I was getting into, but all I did was try to see how android had out done iOS in my mind. I am now back to android and using the note 2 and love it. Honestly if I could give you one bit of advice it would be if iOS as a whole works for you there is no reason to switch just wait on Apple to make a bigger screen. You might be waiting a while, but at least you will save yourself some time. But if you really don't like how something works in iOS and have done your research on how android does it then maybe you should make the change. Just make sure you do your research first on android.

That is really good advice that I think a lot of people forget. Switching just because you want a bigger screen can really make you regret your decision. I would definitely suggest keeping both phones for the length of the return period before you fully decide.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The only other smartphone I'd consider right now is the HTC One which will be released next month. All the other smartphones are big ugly chunks of plastic.

Try the Oppo Find 5. It comes from the folks that make the world's most highly-regarded Blu-ray players (Home Theater nuts know what I'm talking about ;P)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...u-should-probably-pay-attention-to-it-anyway/

----------

Your thread can be equally considered pointless. All you're doing is looking for people to coddle you and tell you that switching from an iPhone is OK because they've done it too. Well thats pointless.

There are other members who feel the way you do and are already discussing in several threads in this sub-forum.

iPhone 5 to Note II

iPhone 5 to S4

One of them is even a user who recently switched to the device form factor you're looking at. So one would think you'd just reply to that thread and continue its discussion.

But your fragile ego won't consider that would it, because your discussion is different and deserve its own new thread right.

More power to ya.

Dang, dude. Ease up on the guy.

Chill.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
like many other posters, i would also recommend Note 2. pen functionality is really nice. although the new Galaxy 4 is more powerful than Note2, it's not a phablet. as you are aware already, you can find Android devices from low end to high end. So i'd say look around. also visit http://www.phonearena.com or gsmarena.com where you can check out phone specs. your Android experience will vary depending on the hardware (handset) you are using.

now for the useless part of my post:

why are some people over reacting? YOU are not a moderator. ok. just know your role. post something that contributes to the thread otherwise move on, don't post on this thread. bothering to make a post about how YOU think this thread is useless is itself quite useless. :)

that's for macrumors admins to decide.

thanks.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007

iPhone 5 to Note II

iPhone 5 to S4

More power to ya.

Actually all I'm REALLY DOING is attempting to discuss this topic. Anything else you might proclaim is complete nonsense. You're acting like a d*uche.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
This thread is way off track.

It would probably be best to only respond to those people that truly want to "discuss the topic" with you rather than every sniping post deserving a response.

If you starve them of a reaction, you'd be better off anyway in my opinion.

Bottom line, some people feel like you do and others don't.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

The screen size is why I'm buying the S4 to replace my iphone 5...

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
This thread is way off track.

It would probably be best to only respond to those people that truly want to "discuss the topic" with you rather than every sniping post deserving a response.

If you starve them of a reaction, you'd be better off anyway in my opinion.

Bottom line, some people feel like you do and others don't.

Agreed. Some of our members are deplorable with their behavior towards other members.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012

Lol, WHAT?

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Agreed. Some of our members are deplorable with their behavior towards other members.

Just let then rant that is all you can do. Don't engage them cause it only makes it worse. Just responded to those of use that are actually trying to help you. Read my first post I am just trying to give you honest advice.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Just let then rant that is all you can do. Don't engage them cause it only makes it worse. Just responded to those of use that are actually trying to help you. Read my first post I am just trying to give you honest advice.

I agree. I just wish MR members treated each other with more respect. People telling me I didn't need to start a new thread can eat it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.