"Unsend" a Private Message

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by todd2000, Jul 21, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Does deleating a PM before it is read "unsend" it? Is there any way to unsend a PM?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I believe sending a PM causes one copy of the message to be put in your Outbox and another copy in the recipient's Inbox. Deleting the copy in your Outbox therefore would not prevent delivery.

Any two members could test this theory by having one send a message and then immediately delete it, before the other member tries to read it.

Not by yourself via the forum software. arn (the site owner) or somebody else with suitable administration privileges could in theory expunge messages from the underlying databases, or erase PMs for a given member with an administrative tool, but we have never done such a thing before, as far as I know.

We moderators never read or access PMs between members, other than those sent to us.

If you are asking because of a particular message you sent, and you consider it an emergency, send me more information by PM, even though it may be too late.

3. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This thread is worthless without sordid details! :eek: ;) :D

I don't know of a way to do it, though...sorry. :( Maybe PM a mod or admin....

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I was thinking the same thing. :D

IIRC, AOL had the ability at one time to delete an email before it was read. A nice safety perhaps.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just want to say that I got your message and I'll be glad to join you on your Carribean Island getaway. :D j/k

Sorry, too late. Once you're bad, you're in trouble.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

well this happens sometimes, when sending email.

you typed in the name "john" and once a person is preoccupied for a couple of seconds, it could happen that the wrong john gets the email.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, it's especially awkward when you send a Dear John letter to the wrong person! :eek:

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Yeah, that was kinda a sweet feature. You could check the status of messages sent to other AOL subscribers and delete them if they were still 'unread.' It was definitely nice. Not just being able to delete the messages, but also see if someone hasn't responded because they haven't read something as opposed to them just being lazy or mad :p

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Believe me; you're not alone. :eek:
    But damn the torpedoes...