unsightly isight

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tiggle, Jan 31, 2006.

1. tiggle macrumors member

Everyone I know thinks that addition of the isight camera to the iMac spoils the lines and look of the design. Some don't like the idea of having a camera pointed at them all the time! I would have thought to save the lines of the design it would be better to have a flip up camera. I am really hoping that down the line, when it is time for me to upgrade, that they will think of a more elegant solution.

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think having a cable hooked up to a huge iSight camera that sits up on the monitor very unsightly. I can hardly wait to upgrade to a built-in iSight. Also I can't believe iSight owners can't have Photobooth available as a free download.

I do agree that it seems weird to have the camera pointed at me all the time. I think I'll find a iSight curtain just for piece of mind.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you think it's weird to have an iSight constantly pointing at you... wait until you get a Mac with built-in iSight. :eek: :D

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Just to clarify, were you talking about the internal iSight in the new iMacs or the one that clips on top of the screen?

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have one and i don't think it's ugly at all. In fact, the magnetic stand is so handy...quick on/off...no undoing the cable or the laptop stand, I love the magnetic stand. Thank god my LCD is magnetic on top!

6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I think he meant the new iMac w/ built in as you can always point the iSight (separate from iMac) away from you. At least this is what I gather. I don't like the thought of built in camera either, who know maybe someone may be able to break in one of these days and see what your up to..

Nuc

7. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Yea and thats apple, can you imagine how wierd it will be to people who buy Microsofts Xbox 360 camera :eek: creepy.

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

No kidding... I'll keep my rev. B G5 iMac thank you :p

9. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

I am refering to the the new built in isight in the newer G5 and Intel imacs. The external i-sight camera is very elegant with a much better lens apparantly. The buillt in ones seems to spoil the sleak lines of the design and as mentioned earlier, everyone of my buddies finds the idea of a camera constantly pointing at them uncomfortable.
    I just wondered what everyone thinks of the built in design.
    Thanks for your opinions.

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

If you were to put a camera that could hide, I think this would just make the lines worse

11. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

its not like anyone is behind the camera watching. I dont see how it would make anyone uncomfortable.

12. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

Or are "they"?

13. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

<runs away screaming>

14. LACOSTE macrumors member

LACOSTE

should they change ut as a built-to order option?

If the built the coming Mac offer the iSight as built to order, would that silence the whine?

seriously, it s like apple is giving users the Camera for free, complaining is sort of mute. But i understand privacy issues, hacking etc. And also the issue of changing where the camera is pointing.

i guess apple invested so much resources on developing iSight, and putting it as a built in on macs seem the next logical step.

Its surprising no-one has brought up the issue of quality... how does the iSight compare to the built-in variety?

15. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

As far as I know, the external isight is much better. The built in uses a plastic lens which compromises quality. Could be wrong on this though.