Unstable iMac 17"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wrldwzrd89, Feb 4, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My new iMac 17" is highly unstable. Lots of random freezes and kernel panics. Tried hardware test/software restore (kernel panics), tried single-user mode (kernel panics), tried regular Mac OS X mode (freezes or kernel panics randomly). I'm going to bring it into my local Apple Store (Legacy Village) to get it looked at. My suspicion is that the RAM is bad, but I can't check that because hardware test kernel panics before the user interface loads (making it unusable).

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Did you upgrade the RAM, or are you still using the factory-supplied stuff? If it's upgraded, take your upgrade out and see what happens.

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Both, actually...

I had the factory upgrade the RAM to 512 MB from 256 MB, so there's nothing for me to take out and test.

4. Numbski macrumors member

Numbski

If it were me (which you're not) I'd open the bottom up, pull off the bottom of the base, and take both the sodimm and the dimm RAM to compusa and let them run tests on it (they have a RAM tester there).

Granted, doing that voids your warranty (funny that).

Now, if you're good at keeping your mouth shut, I'd do it anyway. ;) 4 screws in the base that don't completely come out, pull off the aluminum cover, take out the sodimm, 4 more screws that do come out, take your fingernail and run it around the seam between the base and the base cover, pull it off, and the DIMM will be staring at you. Pull that out.

xlr8yourmac has a tear down pictorial on their site. I have a link to it off mine:

http://www.numbski.net

5. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, numbski - there isn't any RAM in the user slot. There is a 512 MB DIMM in the factory slot. I left the user slot open deliberately so I could upgrade my memory easily. I do not want to void my warranty - in fact, if I take it to the Apple Store and they replace the RAM (or even the whole logic board), it will cost me nothing. Therefore, I don't see any compelling reason to use your approach.

6. Numbski macrumors member

Numbski

Fair enough.

I have compelling reason here. I'm walking distance from an apple store (go ahead, hate me), but I absolutely despise having to go in there if I don't have to. Unless I go in when they first open, or some seriously off-peak time, it takes me an hour to get in and out of there, if not longer.

ESPECIALLY for repairs. Ugh, invariably there are 3 or 4 people in line in front of me, leaving me to pace a track around the store, with sales people constantly asking me if they can do anything for me.

Sorry, I'm of the type that will do what I can for myself before I absolutely have to take it in.

7. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Well, I don't have your problem since the Legacy Village Apple Store only gets busy during major releases (such as the Panther release, which also happened to be the day the store opened). That's why I feel more comfortable using the Apple Store.

8. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iMac 17" now stable again

I'm pleased to report that the stability problem appears to have been fixed. I took the iMac to the Apple Store, several tests were run, the RAM was checked (and found to be fine), and the power management system was reset (this step cured the problem). I will report back later after performing more extensive testing.

Edit - tests reveal that the iMac is in fact stable now - I am typing this on my iMac.

9. Dino679 macrumors newbie

HI If I may ask, how does one reset the power management system? :)

10. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

power manager reset

I don't know how it's done; all I know is that the folks over at the Legacy Village Apple Store had to open up the iMac to perform the reset.