Unstable safari isssues :( .... "Safari Unexpectedly Quit"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 1rottenapple, Dec 20, 2004.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Hey everyone.

My family uses an iMac G4 800mhz (version 10.2.8) with 256 on board ram, and 512 on the extra slot. Right now, I had just the safari, one window open; and that it crashes. It seems to be random, like once per use, or three sometimes. Anyway, why is it doing this? My ibook (10.3 I believe) never encounters this problem and the imac has 512mb more ram!!! Anyone care to help?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Current issue of MacAddict has an excellent feature on troubleshooting your Mac. For unexpected Safari quits, they have 3 things.

They talk of an HP print driver installing a font (Times RO ) that causes this. Delete font if you have it.

They also suggest deleting your Quicktime preference. Delete com.apple. quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

Lastly, try reset Safari command under Safari menu. Be warned that this will erase history, clear cache and removes cookies. Also saved passwords and autofill text.

HTH

3. sgarringer macrumors regular

I had problems with Safari after installing the HP printer driver. Fixed me right up after deleting the fonts.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have the HP printer driver installed, but only have intermittent unexpected quits from Safari. Should I look for Times RO and get rid of it if it's there?

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

That fix is also noted on the Apple Support pages, so it's probably a safe bet that getting rid of it will help.

It also seems that the Times RO font causes problems for other apps, such as Mail, according to the Apple support site.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As it turns out, I don't have it - so I guess I don't need to worry then.