Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,

Do you uninstall programs in OSX or just delete them. I got a free subscription to Mac World for buying the Powerbook. I tried out the digital magazine and didn't like it. I pulled the magazine to the trash, but the "reader" was installed. In XP, I would uninstall the program. What do you do in OSX??? Delete or just drag the folder to the Trash can??

Thanks.

Frank

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Yes, exactly just throw it away and its gone. So easy huh?

Next time search through the forums, this question has been asked many times.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
There Are Other Options...

If you are like me: who likes to be in complete control of programs and their files, you can do one more step to make sure the App is gone for sure. Click on your HD within a Finder Window and do a search for the program you just deleted. Almost always, you will find a ".plist" file inside the preferences folder of your Home library folder. Other programs will install files in your Home-Library-Application Support. And, some System Functionality apps may even install Preferance Panes or background Daemons. HOWEVER: yes, for the most part, deleting a program from your Apps folder will trash any app. But, if you want to get anal... there is always a way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.