Unstoppable Pop-Ups of the Future

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GodBless, Apr 9, 2005.

1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Although this wasn't my intention. Why not? ;) No different than anyone else linking to random sites about different topics. I was just doing regular browsing when I got this pop-up in Safari. Then I tried it in Firefox and what do you know? Firefox couldn't block it! This is the first site that I've found that Firefox can't block. My goodness if I found a popup that couldn't be stopped by Firefox on satan.com I probably would have posted it.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

go figure a christian site has popups that bypass popup blockers.

why am i not surprised

6. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Wow that's pretty impressive that a pop-up in a window form gets past Firefox's pop-up blocker.

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

The "popup" mentioned in the original post isn't a "real" popup per se, but rather a CSS-powered DIV. Yes, it is annoying, but at least it can't take up you virtual workspace and is tied to the browser window...

As for the second one, Tiger's Safari (Safari 2.0) blocks that popunder successfully, so Apple is actively working on better blocking :)

8. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

This is the best and most logical post I've read in a long time.

Good point in stating that the non-windowed popup will be tied to the window. This will be a lot less annoying if we have these in the future instead of the popup style that was demonstrated in the second post of this thread.

What? :eek: Safari 2.0 beats out Firefox's popup ability. Come on Apple release Tiger! Now!

CSS you say? That reminds me of widgets. Maybe someone will make a widget popup :p . Good way for advertisers to control your system. :rolleyes:

9. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Haha, Apple's already thought of that. Dashboard always asks you if you really want the widget before installing it :)

10. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Good thing. Boy the guys at Apple are smart! Thanks for letting me know. But does this mean that it will even ask you prior to testing it in your browser? Because if it doesn't then widgets could still successfully be used as adware.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

13. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Oh come on. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox to test this one. Don't tell me they just updated it 10 minutes ago. I downloaded the latest version no more than a couple of hours ago. Here is a screenshot of it. (It didn't work for me a second time until I cleared my cookies.) Look it even said that Firefox had blocked a popup. Good joke.

14. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Remember God forgives all sinners. No matter how bad the sins are that someone has committed God has already overcome them. :) The best selling book of all time states that Jesus died on a cross, went to hell and overcame sin. He also overcame death by rising from the dead. He is alive today in heaven. His sprit is here on Earth today. I agree, it still it doesn't mean that you should use that gift of overcoming sin inappropriately but since when was a popup a sin?

15. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Don't worry GodBless, I think he was only joking! :)

I'm running Firefox 1.0.2 and that weather website didn't produce a popup or a warning of one.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Really? I didn't think I was.

17. Logik macrumors 6502a

neither of them produced a popup of any kind on my windows firefox 1.0.2

EDIT: that CSS div did however show up. not sure how someone will figure out a way to block that type though.

18. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

19. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

20. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yikes, lets not delve too deep into this. Whatever Jesus' view is on unstoppable pop-ups, I think we should all just be happy it's not edesign up there keeping an eye on us ;)

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No jokes... and no pop-ups... :D

I had to delete the cookies, but I got Firefox to prevent yet another pop-up to open... Firefox 1.0.2 to the rescue... ;)

Attached Files:

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have not stated that Firefox has absolutely no pop-ups, just that I have yet to find a site that opens a pop-up or -under... ;)

Edit: Here, I deleted the cookies from the weather site above, to provoke another pop-up, an here's the result:

Attached Files:

23. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

No pop ups from either site. I did get popunders until I uninstalled the Tabbrowser extensions.

24. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Sorry, i figured you might have been with the smilies you used. Of course, all popups can go to hell because they are so annoying!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

:)

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What has this post to do with pop-ups...? All I say is that FF has a fullscreen mode, and the follow up, #38, I show how similar Mail and FF is, designwise, and point out a couple of (non-critical) bugs in FF... :confused: :rolleyes:

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I prefer Firefox, this post from late March (and another a couple of days later) is an updated (almost repost), of my initial reasons to use FF from back in November, here I state the main reason for "switching":
    ...which I didn't even bother to add in the March-post, because Adblock is an essential extention (and the only one I've installed), and I later learned that Pihelmet adds similar functionality to Safari (essentialy the same ), thus making all the other reasons for staying with Firefox... ;)

But, as so many are having problems, I did a little experiment... I turned off Adblock and re-entered the weather site and turned adblock back on and revisited, of course remembering to delete the sites cookies before and after, and just as I suspected, you need something like Adblock or Pithelmet. The reason I didn't mention Adblock in that thread was that I was getting really bored with reposts on the subject, and I mentioned Adblock in earlier threads on the same subject... Like this thread where I mention Adblock two times, and even specify that I haven't added any new filters... ;)

To summarize my experiment: On the first screenshot Adblock is off, and although FF's built-in popup-blocker manages to prevent one, another sneeks by. The second shot shows the same site, with Adblock back on, and what do you know, the little b*stards gone. Then I opened the "all Adblock-able items"-window, and - surprise, surprise - a Flash ad from cdn.fastclick.net had been blocked, so I checked my Adblock prefs, and quite right, some time ago (well before the last month's pop-up contoversy) I had added a filter to take care of everything from cdn.fastclick.net, thus making me immune to pop-ups from them (for now)... :D

The moral of the story is: Maintain your Safari with Pithelmet or Firefox with Adblock, to take out flash-content from ad-sites (I rarely bother to take out gifs), and you are quite well protected against all those nasty flash-ads, both on-site ones and pop-ups...

...with some heavy filtering you can even avoid those div-"pop-ups" GodBless mentiones in the thread starter but it's very easy to filter out too much and "destroy" the rendering of the site... I did that with my old free SMS provider, but I just found a new provider which even had a higher daily limit, so that worked out just fine... :D

...and I'm still waiting for a site that requires me to add another filter... :cool:

Attached Files: