unstuff this

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saga, Sep 27, 2006.

1. saga macrumors regular

Hey all
    I am having some difficulty unstuffing some zip files. I am downloading live music from archive.org, and they show up as ".matrix.shnf_vbr_mp3.zip". Everytime I try to unstuff it, it tells me error #17538 and that it was unable to unstuff. I have no idea what this error means. I am using my macbook for this downoading. When I use my emac, everything runs smoothly, and there is no errors. What could I be doing wrong, or what preferences are possibly set wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

have you tried just double clicking on the zip file and using apple's native zip support rather than stuffit?

3. saga thread starter macrumors regular

How would I go about that.

4. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Would that happen to be the BOMAarchivehelper?

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes.

6. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, didn't work. Still coming up as unable to expand into desktop. I have tried to divert the path and expand in diffent locations, but nothing seems to work. I will have to try downloading some other shows and see if it is the format the songs are in. I do have the feeling that it shouldn't matter, since my emac can handle any of them. I don't think that I have any other software on the emac that would facilitate theses downloads more than my macbook. Any other ideas?

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Can you post the address of an archive.org page with the problem downloads, so that others can try and see what happens?

8. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Here it is: http://www.archive.org/details/sci2001-03-10.matrix.shnf. In the top left of the window is the spot where one can download the whole show at once. I always use the "VBR Zip" option under downloads on the left. I am very grateful for the help. Love the live jam stuff.
    thanks

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, I just downloaded that file and it unzipped fine, the files are playable too.

What size did you get for the downloaded zip file at that page? I get 261,080,473 bytes with the Finder's Get Info.

Also, in Terminal, I get:
    Code:
    $ md5 download/sci2001-03-10.matrix.shnf_vbr_mp3.zip 
    MD5 (download/sci2001-03-10.matrix.shnf_vbr_mp3.zip) = 95eae68f741bcae416c73ed9c27cc92f

10. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, With the get info windo I only register 202,343,524 bytes. I wonder if the macbook is somehow not downloading the file in its entirity. That might prevent the zip from expanding, am I right?

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That would be the trouble, a partial download. Unzip programs look for a directory marker at the end of the file, and give up if it is cut off.

The problem could be at the server, or any router in the chain between your Mac and archive.org. The problem is probably not your Mac if you are able to get successful large downloads from elsewhere.

There used to be a zip fix program hundreds of years ago that would allow recovery of some files, but that may have been part of the old PKZIP. I'm not sure what's out there for OS X.

12. saga thread starter macrumors regular

I am downloading via the airport express, but so is my desktop in which I can complete these downloads. My distance from the express is only about fifteen feet! Does this sound like it could be a problem?

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It is possible that some kind of wireless bug could be affecting some Macintels. There was another recent thread (link) with pretty much the same problem, a MacBook Pro was getting partial downloads while a PowerBook on the same network was perfectly happy.

14. saga thread starter macrumors regular

What is a good suggestion of what to do now. If it is a wireless bug affecting macintel's than, what are we to do. How do I fix this?

15. saga thread starter macrumors regular

I'm serious. Is there any way to fix this, or is this something I have to resign to.

16. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Got it!!! No worries. Problem solved.

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

What did you find? I would be good to get it down here in case anyone else has to deal with a problem like that.

18. saga thread starter macrumors regular

This is pretty lame. I was using Stuffit 10.0. I called applecare, and told them that my macbook was having a tough time completing downloads via the airport express. After a little more explanation, he put me on hold. While I was on hold, I downloaded Stuffit 11.0, and whatever zip files would not open with the 10.0, automatically expanded using the 11.0. Then he had me rewrite disk permissions. Another handy trick was to go into system pref>network>networkstatus>network port configurations, an reorganize placing the airport on top, etc, etc. Base this on what is more important to you. This sped the macbook up a bit in opening the browser, and loading the pages. I also did notice a considerable difference in using safari vs. firefox, timewise. Safari had firefox beat hands down on speed. From now on I will switch browsers when I know I will be downloading larger files. All in all, I was happy, and some of the fixes I should of thought of, but all is good. Sorry I didn't explain, after all that is what this forum is all about. Thanks for everyone's help.