Unsupported DVD RW Drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thousandsfall, Sep 22, 2004.

1. thousandsfall macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2004
    Hello. I recently installed a dvd burner by Nu Technology. It is the Nu 81 or something. Well after I installed it, it was running fine, but recently ive been getting the Kernel Panic screen. This happens every so often. Do you know a way to fix this. Thank you.
  2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    A bit thin on details here. It would help if you gave some more info....

What kind of system did you install it on
    Is it an internal or external unit
    What O/S version
    Did you have to install any drivers
    Did you install anything other software with it
    Do you only get a kernel panic when you're burning, or at other times

3. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    I've been running into similar problems with a G4 that a family member relies on me to support. She had me install a Pioneer DVR-105 in her G4 400 Sawtooth running 10.2.8. there's an intermittant KP when accessing the drive. The best I can figure is that Darwin can't reconcile the presence of an internal DVR-105 with a mobo that predates the use of DVR-104's. It may also be a need for a faster processor. I've tried running it off a Sonnet ATA-133 card... it improved briefly and then got worse.

I would advise updating OS X and perhaps running some utility programs to assure clean access to your system files.
  4. thousandsfall thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2004
    Sorry about that. I am running OSX on a g4 MMD and the drive I installed is internal. I did not instal any drivers, but I did run patchburn. I get the Kernel Panic at completely random times. When starting the computer, when listening to music, when opeing up the internet. And then when I get it, I keep getting it ever five minutes until I put my computer to rest and dont use it for an hour or so. Then it is good for 20 minutes.