"Unsupported PDE" in print dialog box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pit29, Jan 5, 2007.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,
    today I noticed that the pull-down(?) menu (you know that one with copies & pages, layout and so on) lists 7 times "Unsupported PDE", all crossed out... is there any way to get rid of these? I know, they don't hurt, but it looks - ugly.
    Thank you for your help!
    Pit

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is this in all apps? What printer and printer driver are you using? Maybe check your printer manufacturer's site for a newer or more appropriate driver. :)

3. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Yes, it's in all apps. I am using Tiger (with all latest updates) and a HP LaserJet 4050 and a Business InkJet 2280 PS. I re-installed drivers from HPs website, but that didn't change anything...
    ps. I've included a screenshot - German language, but I guess you will get the point. What is "PDE", anyway?
    Pit

Attached Files:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A PDE is a printing dialogue extension. As far as I know, there are two fixes for this.

1. Remove the printer from printer Setup Utility. remove the HP folder from the Printer Drivers folder. Download the drivers from the HP site. Restart. Re-add the printer using the HP drivers.
    2. The app you are using is running as Intel only and conflicting with the driver in which case telling the app to open in Rosetta will fix this. Ideally this won't be the case because everything will run slower in Rosetta.

The HP drivers in Tiger are print only and do not support other extensions. Even if the HP site has the same driver number and you've downloaded the driver nonetheless, you have to get rid of the Tiger versions for it to work normally, as far as I know. Good luck. :)

5. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

ok ... tried #1. Unsupported PDEs are back, but at least it seems that the Inkjet driver is responsible. (Installed the Laserjet first, and everything looked fine.) Running apps in Rosetta is not an option.
    Guess I'll have to live with it then. But thank you for taking your time posting!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Pit

6. johharris macrumors newbie

unsupportedpde

I have a similar problem with a few twists.
    faxing- when i open the address book i have no control over it. I can move the mouse but it does not recognize the address book. Also if i put the number in manually it wont work either. It will work in text edit and the "unsupportedpde" does not show its ugly head