unused iPod battery seems to drain?!?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shanner, Apr 6, 2005.

1. shanner macrumors member

My iPod was giving me problems a month ago when I got it - without it having been used, the battery would drain and it would start to beep and the light flashed. I though I had it sorted, but it's happening again... it'll be fully recharged, not connected to my mac, unused, with the lock on, but the battery still drains and the distressed squacking starts again after about 36 hours....
    any ideas?

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Is your iPod still connected to the firewire / USB cable? If you iPod has anything going into its dock connector then it will send out information in the same way it does when you Sync with your mac. I presume that this is to reduce the complexity of the microporcessor so that it does not have to look for a computer, it just sends out data and drains that battery. Basically ensure that there is nothing connected to your iPod. If you dont then I really dont know what is wrong, sorry.

3. shanner thread starter macrumors member

thanks but no, this happens when it's not connected to anything and it's locked in the 'off' position...

4. rccola70 macrumors regular

Well, normally, you would just put it to sleep and then lock it. But if you keep it sleeping long enough, it will shut down, causing it to boot up with the Apple logo and beep.

5. shanner thread starter macrumors member

the apple logo doesn't appear. it just beeps and the light flashes, and the battery runs down.
    thanks for the explanation, but why does it do that? is there any way i can leave it alone for a couple of days without the battery draining?

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

What model iPod and what software do you have loaded? Is it fully updated?

7. shanner thread starter macrumors member

40g click wheel, software updated about a month ago...

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Hmm, I am sure there is an update available if you haven't recently (in the last month), i am almost positive that I had an ipod updater notification popup on my G4 last week. I would see if yours has the newest revision of code. I seem to remember it mentioning a battery life fix.

9. shanner thread starter macrumors member

i got the latest software and the battery is still running down to nothing in about 24 hours without it playing or anything....

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My 4G 20g iPod won't drain the battery when left alone, but it will boot up from the Apple logo and take it's sweet time doing that. I believe after an extended period of time it would drain.

Call Apple ...or check their support site for help