Unusual icon - some sort of virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't heard of any OS X virii, but I won't rule it out as a possibility. I have an icon in the top-left corner of my screen. It's usually a BitTorrent icon, although I've seen a Napster icon there too. I have no idea where these icons could have come from - I certainly don't have any Napster software on my system!

In addition, my mouse has been skipping a bit this morning - like having a dirty mouse ball (but I have an optical mouse, and there are no hairs in the sensor).

Has anyone else come across this?

Attached Files:

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Isn't it funny when you solve the problem just a couple of minutes after posting? :)

The icons came from the iSwipe P2P app, which had silently crashed. Force quitting it fixed everything.

3. iJoe macrumors member

You wouldn't have found it as quick if you hadn't posted! Damn law of sods.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The "mouse skipping" issue has been reported before, at MacFixit and other places. Sometimes the mouse goes dead completely, and doesn't reactivate until you unplug and re-plug your keyboard and mouse from the USB port several times.

As yet, I haven't seen anybody offer a solution to this problem, but it does bear watching. It may be a separate problem from the icons you reported.