Unusually high upload rates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Iranian, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Iranian macrumors newbie

Hi, ever since I installed MenuMeters yesterday I have been noticing that i am constantly uploading at around 50Kb/s (and sometimes it peaks to 100Kb/s) to unknown location(s).

Is there a program that allows me to view the different programs using this bandwidth?

Also I was trying to see whether what I am asking is available through Acitvity Monitor and I noticed that there is a process called mdimport, run by "nobody" (the user that is running it) but such a user doesn't exist:confused:

I am a bit scared now lol

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

littlesnitch :p

tells you who's calling home.......

3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Mdimport is actually a spotlight process. I think it is the actual process that does the indexing of the metadata.

4. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the software suggestion, although you have to pay for the full version:(

And Blubbert, if that is right then why is the user named "nobody"? it's the only process that I have with nobody as the user. Just seems a little strange to assign an entire user for 1 process:confused: I dunno:rolleyes:

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

My understanding is that nobody is an account the OS uses. It is always there. But i have two mdimports, one with the user being nobody, the other being me, and for the life of me i dont know if this is normal.

6. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I have that as well so it must be normal.

7. Arne macrumors regular

nobody is common for all Unix-Systems. It is a user that has no rights, used to run programs that are not supposed access private files or anything.

If mdimport is the spotlight-indexing-process, the nobodys process propably indexes the data available to any user while the process with your username indexes data that is only accessible by you.

However.. "nobody" is nothing you should worry about, but you should find out why your mac is uploading all the time.