Unusually long bootup.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djnardu, Feb 27, 2007.

1. djnardu macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2007
    Hi, my iMac core duo is now taking a very long time to boot up. Before it would bootup in less then 18 second, now its taking close to 40 seconds every single time. Anybody know what the problem could be? I recentley repaired my Disc Drive for a small error, could that be it. Is there any way of lowering the bootup to its normal blazing fast time?
  2. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Nov 4, 2006
    On the track
    I'd call apple support
  3. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Have you tried going into the OS X System Preferences, choosing the Startup Disk, and re-selecting OS X system there? Give it a go and see what happens on reboot.
  4. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2007
    Yea i'd do that but, my 90 day trial is over and currently I dont have 150 bucks at the moment.
  5. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2007
    Yes ive done that.
  6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    does it take a long time until the apple logo appears? Also try starting up in verbose mode so cmd-v look for anything that looks like an error message. It will be very confusing but its worth a shot. Also look for something it takes a long time to complete.
  7. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    This might be kinda obvious, but have you checked your login items (System Prefs > Accounts > Login Items) for excessive/unneeded amounts of stuff?
  8. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    i've suffered the same with my C2D imac, the apple logo takes quite a long time to appear, and i kept getting drive errors in disk utility, but i repaired and the disk is apparently fine now, but mine takes a long time to boot,

also dashboard seems to have gone sluggish as well, compared to when i first got it

i find it really annoying how macs get slower over time, when i first got my powermac G4 it booted in around 15 secs. btw our first gen imac G5 with 256 ram, takes the same time to boot as my C2D imac, and that is definitely not right