Unveiling a new low-power chip for the iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Dalriada, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Dalriada
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

2. stoid
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

stoid

Nowhere in the body of the article was there any mention to Apple or the iPod. Is 'iPod' just synonymous with 'mp3 player' now.

Boy, I can't wait to hear some sales rep saying, "We've got the Rio iPod and the Creative iPod, and they're both cheaper and hold more songs than the Apple iPod." :rolleyes:

3. Dalriada
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

It's in the title of the article and also the second paragraph ' the missing link required to carry the iPod generation on its next great leap forward'

- Dal

4. stoid
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

stoid

Ah yes, I suppose that counts. :eek:

However, even that doesn't seem like a reference to the iPod as a device, but rather to the 'iPod generation', the demographic that uses portable mp3 players

5. Dalriada
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

We were at the front of the queue for the Core Duo's so lets hope our old faithful iPods get the first crack with this new chip.

- Dal

6. dmw007
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

dmw007

Wouldn't that be nice?! :)

7. seenew
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

seenew

Oh I know, it sickens me when I hear that stuff. My girlfriend and her sister got some Phillips mp3 players for Christmas, not bad ones, either, but not iPods. I hear their dad referring to them as iPods ALL THE TIME, though, and I want to slug him.

Of course, he is my girlfriend's dad, and he has lots of guns. And looks like Revolver Oceleot.

8. balamw
    Expand Collapse

balamw

Staff Member

It should also be pointed out that Wolfson chips have been present (http://ipodlinux.org/Generations ) in every single iPod with a screen (i.e. not the shuffle). so it is extremely likely that such a chip would be incorporated in future iPods. Just like if PortalPlayer announces a new chip, you can bet that Apple might be ready to use it.

B

9. DrNeroCF
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Um, that story describes a codec, not a chip, citing M$ and Real as competitors...

10. ToastMaster
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

ToastMaster

It says that it's specifically for use in mp3 players tho, I guess. Would this mean only more battery life for music playback (not video or photos)? That's the impression i got.

11. iMeowbot
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It is a chip. It's not a "codec" in the MP3 sense, but a set of a2d/d2a converters and signal processing logic.