unwanted screen dimming

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eusebius, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Eusebius macrumors member

Dec 9, 2006
    My new iMac--four days old and I love it -- has a habit of dimming the screen a bit after about a minute or two of no keyboard or mouse activity, such as when I'm using Safari to read a longish article in the NYTimes. Is there a way to stop this, or at least prolong normal brightness long enough so that I can get through a page before the screen dims? (I can still read, but the brightness change is disconcerting.)
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    System Preference > Energy Saver > Options Tab > Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep.

If the screen turns off too quickly you can adjust it in System Preference > Energy Saver > Sleep Tab
  4. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2007
    It is really annoying that one can't change the delay for the dimming. =(
  5. nelphos macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    This might help. I found this a while back on a site but I can't remember which one. I think it might have been technodaddy. All credit goes to the original author of course. I saved the text to a file in case I ever needed to use it again. Hope this helps! :cool:

Mac Tip: How to stop Tiger from half-dimming your screen.

If you, like me, are annoyed when your Powerbook (at least, under Tiger) goes half-dim when you are idle, I figured out how to stop it from doing that!

I know this is a power saving feature, but it’s really annoying to me, especially under battery power. I have my screen blanking set at one minute, so every 30 seconds, the screen dims to half-bright unless I’m actively typing or mousing. Annoying…

To disable this behavior, go to the terminal shell and use the pmset command. Type “pmset -g” to view the current settings, then type “sudo pmset halfdim 0″ to stop the half-dimming of your screen. (you will be asked for your password, of course) Once you do this, your screen will blank at the interval listed in system preferences without first going to half-bright. Enjoy!